What should I buy next to compliment my rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ducatiti, Dec 12, 2013.

1. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

What would you first get to further benefit the features of your rMBP? I have accumulated triple points for my recent rMBP purchase from Best Buy and now thinking if I should upgrade my Airport Extreme to the newest Wireless AC version. I know most of you will say go with a Linksys, Cisco, or any other aftermarket routers but I would like to keep it simple to include the setup and maintenance. I have a lot of files and/or videos on an external drive connected to my existing Airport Extreme. Would love to have the speed of Wireless AC coming from Wireless N.

Second option for me to buy is an Apple TV. I have a 7.1 setup and would love to stream music, watch videos, or use my 3D LED TV as a monitor.

So which one would you guys purchase first? Apple TV or Wireless AC Airport Extreme?

Also, one last question: Can I use my existing Wireless N AE as a network extender? I guess I can only use wireless N then if I do or can I select my rMBP to strictly use the wireless AC connection, having both AE’s connected to the network?

Thank you in advance.

2. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

A rip-off. I got an external Blu-ray drive for the same price. Honestly, the only thing extra I invested in other than that was a pair of good headphones. No need for a router or external monitor on my end.

4. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks but I have acceptable Beats Studio's already. I have an iMac for a DVD drive and PS3 for the Bluray.

5. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

A good external harddrive for back up...check out the WD Air made for Mac.

Maybe a case....go check out Speck

And if you want a really good bag go check out Ogio Renegade.

Only other thing i can think of is a mighty mouse.

6. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Mouse (I got a Razer Deathadder 2013)

Bag (whatever you like)

Some kind of external storage

7. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all but I have most of your suggestions already. I had two choices in mind as per my original post.

8. RatedRSuperstar macrumors newbie

If you're looking for external storage, I would suggest the LaCie Porsche Design line. They're super sexy and looks very good alongside your Macbook pro. Downside is that they'll cost you more than a typical hard drive.

9. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

How much do you need or how often would you use the AirPort Extreme? I would personally go with the Apple TV for mirroring like you said. I have no reason for the AirPort Extreme like you do though. You should go with whatever you'd use most often, IMO.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I think he said GOOD headphones :p:p:p

U haz "Yo, I got deez" headphones :)

11. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I will say I've been impressed by some "mass produced" headphones.

I'm wearing a pair of Monster NCredible NTunes that I'm using INSTEAD of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's, which are currently just sitting on a shelf.

12. rgarjr, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Sup broh, I would an :apple:TV if you don't already have one, they are pretty cheap in price.

I would also get a new Time Capsule, dump your content to the internal hard drive of it, that way u won't get slowed down with the USB connection to external drives.

Yeah, u can use the old router to extend your network, which is the nice thing about getting Apple hardware.

13. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Seriously....DVD sucks compared to Blu-ray and I love being able to read and write to BLu-rays for various purposes. You can even playback Blu-ray on macs with the right software which is nice....I don't know about you but sometimes I just like to watch a movie in bed on my laptop.

See above :p ^^

14. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Since you already have an Airport Extreme, I think the Apple TV is a far better choice than giving a slight bump to your network performance. There are so many good things that you can do with the Apple TV that you couldn't otherwise given your setup, plus it's cheaper, it seems to me like the obvious choice.

15. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your advice. Will surely take it into consideration.

16. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

AppleTV is a great product. But personally I cannot live without an Airport Express for wireless audio streaming. Maybe not something you need or want but I figured I'd mention it.

I should mention though the AppleTV can do audio streaming like the Airport Express so you wouldn't need both devices unless your stereo is far from your TV.

17. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Get the Apple TV - although you will get better network performance (maybe a little, maybe a lot - it's theoretical), things like AirPlay Mirroring/Extending, and sending audio to a receiver is nice. When you eventually get an AirPort Extreme, your old one can act as an extender - I'm currently running two AirPort Expresses in my apartment. Although coverage of two is not necessary, I am extending with one and it also shares my printer and a set of speakers.

18. vtgeek macrumors newbie

I like the apple tv for watching netflix, it also allows you to use your computer at the same time if you stream on built in apps on apple tv.

The thing that I also like to have for my home theater, re: external monitor use is getting a HDMI to mini display cable. Cheap @ mono price. The cool thing about that is if you want to stream something your computer's graphics card won't be slowed down sending it to the tv. Plus friends can plug their machines into it too.

+1 for airport express audio streaming too for a dedicated speaker, but apple tv does that too.

I also have a dual airport network with one old and one new network. You can have a different name on your old base station for older slower clients.

19. zipur macrumors 6502

You should pick up a good external 30in display and external speakers.
    Also a TB or USB 3.0 hub for quick disconnect.
    Lastly and external hard drive for Time Machine.

20. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Personally I would put the ability to back up at the top of that list.

21. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

I'd get a desktop external HDD (at least 2TB) to get everything backed up. Or a sleeve (maybe SwitchEasy's Thins).
    Wouldn't get a SuperDrive, because it is insanely overpriced!

22. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

You need a BMW and a pair of Maui Jim shades to complement your MBP. Don't forget the bluetooth headset!

23. Leisyu macrumors member

I just bought Bose Soundlink Mini to compliment my rMBP :D