What Should I Buy, Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KoolStar, Mar 2, 2008.

1. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Hi ladies and gents, I am in need of some excellent advice. Mind you I am not new to Mac's at all. I was an original owner of a Lisa. I currently own a 15" PB G4 Al 2GB Ram 128MB VRam AP/BT 80GB HD SD/ and Leopard. I am going to get a new computer in the next two to three months. I have some ideas of what to get but I want to get your alls thought on the set ups.
    The first set up is: Black-Book, Maxed Out, with a 20" Apple Display.
    The second is a: Macbook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz 4GB Ram etc, No External Display.
    The Final choice: A 24" iMac Max Ram, and possibly a 20" Apple Display.
    Feel Free to suggest any set ups that are around 2200-2800 bucks.
    And a head of time thanks for the time and consideration that you are all putting into helping me choose another mac to add to the family of my macs in my signature. ~*KoolStar*~

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Refurb Last gen 2.4 15" Macbook pro for 1649 (since you suggested the blackbook, multitouch isn't important for you it seems)

4 gigs of ram from newegg to replace the original 2gb (approx 100 from newegg)

20inch external monitor (approx 300 or so dollars)

1649 + tax = about 1750 + other stuff = about 2150 or 2250 depending on monitor.

OR.. substitute a new bottom line macbook pro, since you probably don't need the max 2.5 or 2.6 since you considered the macbook. That brings it up to about 2500.

That's my suggestion :)

I had an external for my macbook pro, and it was nice to have extra space even with the 15inch screen too. If you get a refurb you could splurge for a 23 or 24 inch monitor instead too or use the extra to grab a new big external drive if you don't already have one!

3. KoolStar thread starter macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

All the computers that I am looking at are the current models, thus I do want the multitouch for the mac pro, but i was also looking for the portability of the blackbook. However i have been looking for a desktop as well. As for the monitors they would only be apple cinematic displays, any other suggestions.

4. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I'd grab a bottom line macbook pro then if i were you. You don't seem to need the extra .1 or so ghz power. I'd just grab that for 1999 or 1799 if you have a student discount somehow.

Grab that, and max the ram out yourself with newegg and then grab a display too if you can. That would come in under 2800 if you buy the display refurb, which is my suggestion, or look around for other displays unless you are particularly attached to the ACD or need it for graphics work. If not, I'd look at some dells or samsungs, they are really nice and will save you some money.

Or.... better yet, grab the macbook pro, max out your own ram and then save the extra couple hundred for a while and decide whether you really need an external (since you had a config without one anyway).

Give it some time, the ACDs are long overdue for an update, so either you could grab one later when they update them, or grab a refurb model with a price drop if new ones do come out, but you dont' like what they do to them.

May as well spread out your purchases a bit, and get more spread out enjoyment and new toys down the line :)

Ofcourse, i just noticed you have 3 laptops already, so perhaps a nice bg 24inch imac (if you can wait till they possible update for that though, that woudl be my suggestion) would be a great addition to your already very portable family.

5. KoolStar thread starter macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Good suggestions so far, I forgot to mention that I am a student and I am also a ADC member so i get 1 adc hardware discount, but i think im using that discount for my parents who want a macpro. So im only looking at using a student discount.

6. applemacman macrumors member

applemacman

I plan on using my ADC discount on a MacPro...you definitely save the most using it on that.

I currently have a 12" PB that I use for note taking and such during class. I'm looking to get the MacPro once I sell my MacBook Pro to use as my main computer.

Since you already have the laptop my suggestion is get a MacPro with your ADC Discount...but I guess you are a little nicer to your parents than me so if you let them use your discount than go for the 24" iMac and use the EDU discount. I would think that you would need/want the more powerful MacPro than your parents. Heck I got my mom an old emac and that is all she needs for internet/email. Perhaps use the EDU discount for your parents.

What exactly are your needs that you need filled with your new machine?
    What are your parents needing?
    I think that should help us out to give you better advice.

7. KoolStar thread starter macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I am going to school for Unix and Windows System administration, Thus I am in need of a computer that is intel based so that it runs windows in fusion. Also for work I do mobile development. I work primarily in a windows environment using VS2008, and Adobe Master Collection. As well As when the SDK for the iphone is released I will begin to start writing apps that my company wants iphone and blackberry users to be able to use.

8. Saladfingersz macrumors newbie

Saladfingersz

Mobility:
    15" Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz, 4GB Ram (newegg.com)
    200GB HDD @7200 RPM

Stationary:
    24" iMac
    4GB Ram (newegg.com)
    500GB HDD