Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eriksrocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
So, just got a brand new Retina MacBook Pro with a student discount and as such got a free $100 App Store gift card with it.

Mac users, what Mac software should I spend my $100 on? I'm a web designer/developer, also do a lot of graphic design and photography.

I've been looking at Coda 2, Aperture, Sketch (just won an Apple Design Award), the iWork suite, and Pixelmator.

However I know there is a ton of awesome software for OS X, much of which I probably don't know about, so I was wondering if you guys had suggestions on how to spend my $100.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
So, just got a brand new Retina MacBook Pro with a student discount and as such got a free $100 App Store gift card with it.

Mac users, what Mac software should I spend my $100 on? I'm a web designer/developer, also do a lot of graphic design and photography.

I've been looking at Coda 2, Aperture, Sketch (just won an Apple Design Award), the iWork suite, and Pixelmator.

However I know there is a ton of awesome software for OS X, much of which I probably don't know about, so I was wondering if you guys had suggestions on how to spend my $100.
As an amateur photographer I have aperture 3... I like it, it is pretty much a step between photo and Photoshop. I use aperture for organization (overkill), but edit my pics with CS 5.5 (non retina, 2008mbp)

I also do some web design (yep, 1 semester of HTML only... ill send links to my work if you want, but they're not as professional as I would like).. use dreamweaver 5.5, but not coda..

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Did you ever have any wish list ideas for a program but didn't justify the cost?

I wanted Aperture for a while and now that I have it, I really like it. It makes simple edits much easier than iPhoto (and you can cut & paste edits on many photos which i wanted iPhoto to do). I can still edit them from within PS but don't need to open that program as often.

My vote: Aperture

musty345

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
United Kingdom
Have a little fun with it, buy an expensive Mac game by a big mac developer like Feral.

Something like Dirt 2 or Deus Ex, also OmmWriter is great, it's £1.49 and it helps you concentrate whilst writing stuff and has some calming music. Seriously get it.

Have a look at RapidWeaver for web development, Mindnode is great for mind maps and iVI is great for converting videos for your iOS devices (automatically adds album art and all other metadata). Wallpapers HD is good as well.

Also get Alfred, it's free :)

That should get you started, but I recommend leaving $30, just to spread out the goodness for a while. Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.