What should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ujiikto, Oct 5, 2013.

1. ujiikto, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

ujiikto macrumors newbie

Hi!
    After spending a lot of time on fixing things rather than using them, I've decided on getting a Macbook.
    I have about 2200 $ ready to spend.
    I use my computer for:
    - Animating (mostly 2D) (Will use a Wacom tablet)
    - Game developing (Not professional stuff obviously)
    - Playing games like Terraria, Minecraft, Super Crate Box...
    - Programming (C/C++, Android, thinking about iOS, Python, web design[PHP, HTML, CSS, JS...])
    Also I need to take it to school and use Windows on it.
    It is not have to be a Mac, but again, I want stability and very good build quality. I had really bad experiences on Windows and Linux.

Thank you!

Sorry for bad English.

2. 09sroyal macrumors member

Guessing you want us to recommend a computer for you?
    For $2200, you could get the base 15" rMBP. Would definitely be enough for your needs, and is a very nice computer anyway. You've already stated at the start that you want a macbook, so you may as well get the best you can afford. I would recommend that you save a little more and get the 16GB RAM upgrade. This would make it much more future proof and usable for the years to come. You will also be able to run windows or Linux in a virtual machine for school.

3. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

Yeah I would say refurb rMBP to save even more. Or you could go for a maxed out 15" cMBP when the new haswell chips come out. Well all of the ones that make sense to do. IF you got a cMBP you could do RAM and SSD on your own

----------

If size isn't as big of a deal and you want better portability, I would go with a nicely speced 13 in rMBP when the Haswell comes out.