What should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bingles, Aug 27, 2007.

  1. bingles macrumors newbie

    Apr 28, 2005
    Just above the centreline

    I've been saving really hard and have scraped together about £1500 to update one of my computers. I know I'm really privileged to be able to have a decision like this to make, but I'm not sure what I should spend it on first... Like a small boy in a toy shop I suppose!!! :)

    Heres a list of what I've got at the moment:
    1, :apple: 17" iMac G5 1.8GHz 1Gb RAM Superdrive model
    2, :apple: 12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHz 1.25Gb RAM Combo drive model

    I use my iMac with iPhoto, some digital video editing on iMovie and iDVD, surfing, but most-of-all Music. I run Logic Express with a load of outboard gear. It's a really cool setup but needs more grunt
    I use my Powerbook for surfing and music on the move. Works fine but could my home studio setup could do with a helping hand

    Here's my options (as far as I can see):
    1, New 24" iMac 2.8GHz 2Gb RAM
    2, New 15" Macbook Pro 2.4GHz

    Now the new iMacs have been released they look really tempting, and I would love all the extra horsepower for my Logic Plug-ins... But thinking again, I could get quite a large amount of joy from a new Macbook Pro...

    Choices, choices, choices... So I suppose I've got a few questions. :confused:
    1, Are there any other options?
    2, Which should I replace first - iMac or Powerbook?
    3, Should I wait for Leopard?

    Helpful advice will be greatly received.
  2. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a


    Oct 14, 2005
    If you already have a small portable (12" PB) I'd say the iMac is your best bet. While the MBP is a great computer (I have one myself), the iMac will give pleanty of power and then you still have a travel compainion :)
  3. WillJS macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2007
    I'm big on portables but here's my suggestion (which may reflect my bias):

    Sell them both and buy a Macbook Pro 2.4GHz and upgrade (3rd party of course) to 4gb of ram. Then buy an external KB and mouse and a nice monitor. There! Now you have a kick 'a' desktop and spankin' portable to boot. :)

    I don't see why someone should have 2 computers (unless of course you are doing heavy pro work). The MBP should be awesome for your work (definitely a step up in any case).

    Regarding waiting for Leopard, it really depends on what route you go. Buy a MBP, I'd say wait just to see what happens. An iMac, go ahead and buy unless you don't want to spend £64.05 to upgrade to Leopard.

    If you can come to America that's ~$3,020.70 here... Mac pro? Don't know how you would manage to get it back though.

    Edit: If I made any currency conversion errors blame the dashboard widget, unit converter. :p
  4. bingles thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 28, 2005
    Just above the centreline
    I love having both my Macs... One set up in the house and one for the road.:cool:

    I take my PB with me every day to work - unplugging it from my home setup every day would drive me insane. Apple should do docking stations - that would solve a few problems!!!

    Taking all my docs with me would be great though. I keep thinking that a Mid range 15 MBP would be a good solution. Then I look at the iMac horsepower and think again. I wish I could have both...:(
  5. mac000 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 6, 2005
    from experience, one computer (notebook) is better than having multiple ie 24 " imac + 12" pb etc, i tended to use one more than the other over time.

    sell your stuff buy a maxed out MBP and external monitor + periphs
  6. Big D Skins macrumors newbie

    Jun 8, 2007
    I second selling the two computers and getting the 2.4Ghz 15in MBP. It is an amazing machine to use all the time. I believe that it would have much more power then your current machines and would give you the portability to use it all the time!

    The 2.4Ghz can handle the grunt work in my opinion.
  7. daneoni macrumors G4


    Mar 24, 2006
    If you want two machines then obviously get the iMac and use the PB for your portability needs if you have to pick one machine then....MBP it is.
  8. byakuya macrumors 6502a


    Jul 26, 2007
    I agree with the other people before me...ever since I had my first laptop (it was a PC at the time-shame on me) I really wouldn't get any desktop anymore unless I needed the power but laptops are getting more powerful and are a legitimate desktop replacement nowadays.
    And the Macbook Pro sure is one hell of a machine...
    it's unfortunate Apple doesn't have have a ultra portable MBP yet though...I bought a Macbook because of the mobility it gives me but a 13" or 12" MBP would rock in combination with an Apple display for home use.

  9. bingles thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 28, 2005
    Just above the centreline
    I just realised how rubbish I am at making decisions. I would love a new iMac but I would also love a new MBP :rolleyes:... I really understand the benefits of both, but I can't make up my mind:eek:

    I'll just keep thinking about it... Thanks to everyone for your advice I'll let you know what I do.

Share This Page