what should I buy

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Pimmin Pie Ora, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Pimmin Pie Ora macrumors newbie

I'm probably going to get an ipod touch today and i see that your can buy an ipod with software (google maps and others im guessing) already loaded on it... its like $20 more for that... so could i save $20 and load those things on it myself?

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Apple announced in January at Macworld that every iPod touch manufactured after 15h January 2008 would come pre-installed with the 'January Software Update' which contains the iPhone applications (Maps, Notes, Mail etc). To compensate this, many retail stores, under the instruction of Apple, have started to discount the retail price of iPod touch by exactly $20. Apple see it as you then spending this 'saving' of the $20 on the 'January Software Update' anyway.

A note: Please, if you are going to buy an iPod touch, can you 100% make sure that iTunes is supported in your country, and that you are able to make a valid iTunes store account if you do not already have one. Many people have complained after buying an ipod touch that they cannot update their software with the January Software Update, as iTunes does not support their country. Because I do not know which country you reside in from your profile, I thought I'd let you know, so that you could check this before purchasing, because if iTunes isn't supported you won't be able to buy any 'chargeable' software updates from Apple, as they are only available through iTunes. :)

R-Fly

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Get the one with the apps pre-loaded on it. It will save you the trouble of having to go and buy them. They're worth the $20.

4. purpletarzan macrumors newbie

Or you could buy the cheaper one and just jail break it and get the iPhone apps for free and save $20.

5. Resist macrumors 68030

No they are not....maybe worth $5.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes, they are worth the $20. You're probably one of those people who thinks that they should be free because the iPhone had them...

7. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Or, he's someone who doesn't find much utility in them.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

Saying that he was complaining about how they should have been free, I think not.

9. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Can you read? He said they were worth $5.00 to him.