What should I buy?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blairbeckwith, Jun 2, 2008.

1. blairbeckwith macrumors regular

Hey guys;

I just got my first part time job, and I need help deciding what to buy; I'm going to be making about $300/month that can be 'wasted away' without worrying. What should i buy, besides a Macbook, as that's a given. I have an iPod, but that's about it.

Any and all ideas are appreciated :D

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

One pair, Prada shoes, every 45-60 days at your rate. :eek: ;)

Seriously, do you mean computer gear, or more generally? What do you like to do? What would make you happy?

3. blairbeckwith thread starter macrumors regular

man, I don't even know. I guess computer gear is a somewhat priority. Guess I should have given more information.

I'm thinking things along the lines of accessories for computers. Right now, I'm thinking stuff like an external hard drive, tablet maybe, etc.

Also, subscriptions to cool online services, etc.

4. audiophile42 macrumors member

If you're looking for a new hobby, you could look into Hi-Fi or Home Theater. That's what I did when I was in high school (I'm assuming you're in high school). It can be pretty expensive, but it's also pretty awesome to have a 50" HDTV and a nice mid to high end surround sound system. The life of these products tend to also be longer than computers or ipods. I've had my receiver and speakers for over 6 years, and will probably keep them for another 2 years or so. I could keep them much longer, but hopefully by then I'll be settling into a job after graduating college, making some decent money, and will be able to afford upgrading to some new higher end equipment.

5. blairbeckwith thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I have been thinking of picking up a new hoppy, maybe music. Maybe I'll go all audiophile :p

Any other ideas on cool hobbies or whatever to pick up?

6. blakintosh macrumors member

INVEST

well at least invest or save some of it

This is a post by DMBmelch (12/27/2007) on digg that I found very inspiring:

I started working Apple retail in late 2001. A guy I worked with said, "Hey, don't forget to invest in the savings and security plan"
    I listened to the guy and invested about $20 per pay period, reluctantly giving up some beer money. As a college kid, that was tough.

When I sell next year and put a $30,000 down payment on a house using AAPL, I can honestly say, I didn't miss the beer that much. Invest early kids!

The point is that you should save some money.

Hope this helps you

7. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

How about sending some of that to 3rd world charities for children? That's a cool hobby :D

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

1. Charitable cause. Find one that you believe in, and send a portion of that each month. You'll feel better.

2. MacBook Pro 17" Hi-Res.

3. A bag of M&Ms...

4. A Good Single Malt Scotch (you'll drop $350 for a good bottle)

5. Take you parents out to a nice dinner.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

1) save
    2) invest
    3) donate to a cause you love
    4) buy a good bag for your laptop, an external drive for backups

Divide your money into piles, and get used to it, cause by doing it this early it will make your life much easier in the future.

congrats on the job :)

10. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

I would say I good pair of headphone/earphone. Since I bought my Shure E4C.... it's just gorgeous.

So, that's what I would buy... after that, invest.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Another vote for save/invest. It'll be worth it. Just set aside a bit of this money for short term savings and purchases and keep the rest sitting somewhere nice.