What should I choose ??? please advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by claudiut1984, Mar 17, 2008.

1. claudiut1984 macrumors newbie

Let me cut to the chase here.
    I have 3 options:

- 1 -

Macbook PRO 15 INCH ( latest )

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    200GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB
    Touch Pad iPhone functions

Price: 1650 EURO

- 2 -

Macbook PRO 17 INCH ( previous model before the 1st above )

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1680 x 1050 rezolution
    2GB memory
    160GB hard disc
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB SDRAM

Price: 1800 EURO

- 3 -

IMAC 24 INCH

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB memorie
    320GB hard disc
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO / 256MB memorie

Price: 1800 EURO

I'm sitting here trying to decide and i can't, i like all 3 and what's worst is that from 5 to 5 minutes i keep on changing my opinion what to take. I like mobility but i also like stability, i like listening to music, gaming but not an addict for latest games, creative writting, movies, maybe some development for linux and stuff in the future since I want to learn more about OS's and their advantages.

Now can some of you tell me what should i go for ?

When i decide to take a Macbook i remind myself that i'll loose 8 inches of display, when I choose an Imac i remind myself that I loose portability. So, what to do ???

Thanks

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

MBP, if you need more screen space you can eventually add an LCD. This way you have power and mobility.

3. claudiut1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok but what model, the 15" or the 17" ? thanks

4. McGiord, Mar 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I'll go with the MBP 15" (#1).
    Portability, you can connect it to any bigger screen, the portability is indispensable from my point of view.
    Also I think the MBP can be sold faster than an iMac, so you can upgrade to a newer model in the future.
    ________
    List of GM engines

5. claudiut1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

i didnt know that. imacs usually are resold harder ? i am asking all these questions because only once i owned a Macbook 2.0 Ghz and someguy was so crazy about it that i sold it to him, it was 1 year ago. i used it for 3 weeks and i liked it a lot, and since a while i reconsidered to switch to mac, it's unix based so it's what i want.

my last question would be, are MacBook Pro units silent or noisy ?
    i mean is there a big difference between a normal silent room and another one in which a macbook pro is running ?

i know i had one, but i can't remember i was focused at that time on different details such as stability and main differences between mac and win.

thanks

6. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

If something like sound bothers you, let me tell you another little thing which bothers me about my MBP, predecessor to Penryn..... It gets extremely hot on the underside and this bothers me a lot... I am not sure if this has been changed when upgrading to Penryn but to me it's a huge deal.......

7. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

mbp is not noisy by any means, it's actually very quiet as notebooks go. I'd go with the 15" (IMO 17" is not very portable), and an external monitor if you feel you need one down the road.

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

15 inch model, most of the time my MBP is silent.

9. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

Go Big

Love my screen size on the 17 inch MBP. Go big! :)

10. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I faced the same choices, and chose the MBP. It's portable, yet powerful enough to be my desktop/main computer. I have no regrets, and have never had a single issue with it. When I am using it at home, I connect it to a 22" external monitor and enjoy dual screens, external mouse, and keyboard. The only advice I have is to purchase a keyboard protector right away, as it keeps it cleaner for potential resale, and prevents accidents from becoming disasters. Good luck on whatever you decide. :)

11. claudiut1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

i see most of you advice me to go for the MacBook and i think that's what I'll do, I'll go for the 15 inch model. i won't ask myself why nobody said to choose the imac, i guess it's because it's not portable, because of the video downgrade ( it looks like a downgrade compared to the video of the macbook pros ), and maybe because of the problems that keept on coming after their release, like freezing for example

12. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I think we didn't recommend the iMac because of your initial post, stating you lose either screen space, or portability. With the MBP, you can attach an external monitor when at home, and have the portability, so it was obvious (at least to me). Good luck with your purchase. I think you'll be very pleased with the MBP. :)

13. claudiut1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes you are indeed right. to be honest, regarding imac i was afraid of the "freeze" thing which filled up all internet forums. and yeah, i could get a second monitor. next week i'm getting my macpro, thanks for the messages guys !