What should I consider when buying form a private seller?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Feng Shui, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Feng Shui macrumors regular

Hello again. I've come across a reasonable deal for a macbook pro from a private seller. What sort of papers and ducuments should I be looking to get from him/her?

So far, I know I have to get the original reciept in order to have the warranty.

And what sort of precautions should I do before handing over the money? Should I boot up the machine to check if it works?

Thanks in advance.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If it's new you want to the receipt to prove they bought it and that it is new. If it's just an authorized seller you should ask for proof that they are. If it's used, you don't need the receipt for warranty. All you need is the S/N to check the warranty status and everything.

3. Feng Shui thread starter macrumors regular

Oh ok. Thanks for the reply. I just contacted the person. He says he has no reciept for the Macbook Pro because he bought it through his company discount. Some how I feel there is a problem here. Is there anything wrong with buying this macbook pro? He says the warranty started a week ago, so I should ask for the serial number and check its warranty info? Thanks once again.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The question is really do you trust him? And how much is he selling it for.

As with the receipt, he must be able to get one somehow because what happens if wanted to return it?

Getting the S/N will prove warranty, but it doesn't prove whether or not the computer is legitimately his to sell. It's all a matter of what you want, how much you are willing to trust and risk with the selling and most importantly if you care whether or no the product is a legitimate sale.

6. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Ditto the above. I sold my macbook pro to a guy on craigslist and gave my serial to those who were serious, and provided the link to check warranty status via email.

doesnt hurt to test the computer. boot 'er up and look closely at the screen, at various angles. If you see some "backlight bruising" ask them about it. If it is still under warranty that stuff is covered.

If its not covered under AppleCare I would not buy it.

And make sure the guy knows how to transfer AppleCare. All it takes is an email with Proof of Purchase, your information, and the serial #.