What Should I Do (4S Question)?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Agent 21, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Agent 21, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

Agent 21 macrumors regular

So I have a launch day 4S and the past 2 weeks or so the speaker has been acting up. The earpiece speaker. It sounds like its blown (how that even happens I don't know, music plays from the bottom one, AND I dont have any music on my phone right now to where id even play it too loud to blow). At first I thought it was a bad call connection causing the "static-y" overlay to calls, but it does it every call and listening to voice mails too. Just like a blown car stereo sounds.

So here's my dilemma. If I bring it in for a new one, it's going to have the newest iOS version, whereas I have stayed on 5.0.0 on this one specifically with a future JB in mind (when/if it ever comes out). Also, I don't use the phone part THAT much. I'm a texter, I don't even come close to my 400 minute plan a month, I've got 1,000s of rollover mins lol. I do use the phone, but not constantly. So do I:

Get a new phone and hope any possible JB will work with the current iOS version

Keep this one and deal with the earpiece speaker being a bit "crackle-y"

Keep this one and search eBay/Internet for a replacement speaker and try and fix it myself?

I miss my JB on my 3GS, but I paid $400 for this phone, I'm not NOT gonna use it lol. But a JB is important to me.

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Apple still hasn't released 5.1 so your replacement will come with 5.0.1 which is what the pod2g is working on a jailbreak for. If you're gonna replace it then you better do it asap. Unless you want an unlock. In that case Musclenerd has said to stay on the lowest possible baseband

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

if it's a issue better of getting it replaced most likely though it will come with 5.0.1 not 5.0. also not allot has been said about the unlock in a while. who knows what will happen.

4. Agent 21 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want to unlock so I think I'm just gonna go for it and get it replaced

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah I'd be annoyed even though you said you don't use it as a phone that much.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'd also be more annoyed not having features work properly. I also think that would hurt resale more then not being able to unlock it.

7. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

What should I do? Should I admit I've made mistakes? Should I give you a history lesson?

----------

For an unlock. What do you mean lowest possible baseband? I'd like to JB and also unlock when given the chance.

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

To be honest I don't know much about unlocking but I think with each iOS update they change the baseband to try and stop people from unlocking. Someone with more knowledge will have to chime in.

9. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Oh ok. I thought it was something like buying a newer iPhone 4S would have a higher baseband therefore harder to unlock? Don't know. Since I have pretty much the first batch of 4S' I thought I'd be in the clear. Ah.

10. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

That can be true because the newer iPhones will have the latest iOS version which might be unlockable and unjailbreakable until someone finds a way to do that for the newer iOS version and baseband. So if you were to buy an iPhone after Apple has released 5.1 then you wouldn't be able to jailbreak until there is a jailbreak for 5.1.

11. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

replacement

I got a replacement when 5.0.1 first came out it had 5.0. I would handle it SOON.

12. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I have the exact same problem with my earpiece, I don't have an apple store near by will apple send me a replacement and them let me send mine back?

13. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

That's what I did but I had to pay 30 euro I think for this advanced placement or replacement or whatever they call it. If you don't want to pay a fee then you have to send yours and wait for them to send the new one after they receive yours. They also have to freeze the price of the iPhone from your account in case you don't send them your faulty iPhone.

14. DankNugz macrumors regular

My friend just bought a 4S yesterday and it came with 5.0 on it. Depending on where you live, you might get lucky and get 5.0. I'm guessing that smaller towns and less-busy Apple stores have some 5.0's left, whereas bigger cities and Apple stores that have constant traffic probably tend to have 5.0.1, but thats just a guess.