What should i do about charging my macbook pro for the first time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dara355, Jun 20, 2011.

1. dara355 macrumors newbie

My 13" macbook will be delivered today (hopefully soon!) and i'm just wondering what i should do regarding the battery. Is it okay to turn it on as soon as i get it and plug it in to charge while using it? Or should i let it charge fully before using it at all? And what about calibrating the battery?

Any help would be much appreciated,

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

My opinion has always been, and this is just my opinion; don't overthink it. Open the box, plug it in, turn it on, and enjoy your new computer. Let it charge while you're using it, and don't overthink the battery.

With the two apple notebooks that I've bought in the past, I've been too excited about using the new computer to worry about calibrating the battery right away. You can always calibrate it later. Waiting a day or two or twenty to calibrate your battery won't hurt your computer. At worst, your battery's "fuel gauge" will be off by a few minutes/percentage points.

3. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Yeah bozz2006 but MY opinion has always been to calibrate it first. Good thing is, you can use it while doing so.

Yay!

4. dara355 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I think that's how I'm gonna go about it. Thanks :)

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Yep

6. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can plug it in and use it while it's fully charging. Calibrate it during the first week you own it. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: