What should I do about this dent?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CyberGhostface, Feb 16, 2011.

1. CyberGhostface macrumors newbie

I was carrying my MacBook Pro from class the other day when I tripped on a patch of black ice. I had the Macbook in a carrying case.

When I took it out at my dorm, this is how it looked:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ppzuv9.jpg

FWIW, this dent doesn't interfere with closing the top (if it does, it's very slight) and it hasn't pushed out any of the outlets or anything that would interfere with its general use. Still, it's a bit of a distraction.

Now I'm not in a position to have have the entire thing fixed for hundreds of dollars, but is there something I could do that make could the dent less noticeable? Like a way to suck it out or maybe push the dent in to make it a little smoother? Or should I just live with it?

2. RayK macrumors 6502

I'd say to leave it be. I would keep anything important on that computer backed up somewhere though as that area is where the HDD is located.

3. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

You could even-out the dents with a ball peen hammer. That may make it less noticeable.

All kidding aside, not sure it is worth the time and money to fix (cosmetically) especially since the computer is functioning properly. Not sure there is even a way to get it back to normal without re-maching the surface.

4. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

It's worth a shot bringing it to the Apple store and seeing if they would just replace it for free. There's been many cases where Apple has done that. Just be honest and explain your story. You have nothing to lose.

5. CyberGhostface thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. :) Maybe next time I'm in the area I'll take it to the store, but I'll just live with it for the time being.

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

If that is a 2010 mbp, the hdd is beside the optical drive...on the other side. But you will never be able to fix that and make it look anywhere close to normal, if you did get it to move back out it would probably crack the aluminum anyway.

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Commiserations.
    The only thing that`ll rectify that really is a top-case replacement.
    TBH I`d just live with it.