What should I do? (Buy Macbook Pro or wait!)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pattman247, Aug 24, 2008.

1. pattman247 macrumors regular

So this is my dilemma... I just sold the blackbook to my brother, and now I am in need of a new laptop. Here are the choices that I could make
    1) Buy a refurbished Macbook Pro (the current crop)
    2) Wait for the new macbook

Now I much rather have a gpu for games and a larger screen, but I would also like to see what the macbooks will have in store, which I feel will be an incremental upgrade. What do you think Apple Fangoers :)

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

why are you asking the same exact question while you see here about 50 opened threads about the same situations already?

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Buy if you need it, wait if you want it. Honestly, only you can decide where you lie on the Need-----Want spectrum. Both the MBs and the MBPs will be updated in the future.

If a larger screen and gaming are important for you, then you already know that you need the MBP. If the MBs do receive an update to the the graphics processor, it will still be integrated, and thus never as powerful as the stand-alone GPUs in the current MBP line.

4. pattman247 thread starter macrumors regular

the reason why i am asking even though there are millions of threads out there is because I cannot afford to buy the new macbook pro, only the refurbished one, and my question is if it is wise to buy a potential problematic mac, or that i shouldnt worry about it.

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

i have the current mbp and it's flawless. i would recommend it if u liked it. really good refurb prices too.

6. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

just get apple care and everything will be okay.

7. 204467 macrumors 6502a

He said he couldn't afford a new MBP, so why would he spend his money on something like that? I would only get that if I had a lot of cash to throw around; but since I don't, I won't. No one in my family has ever gotten an extended warranty; my dad thinks they're scams.

8. gmecca2 macrumors regular

I always buy new, don't trust used. Buy a new MBP and add AppleCare at the very end of year one so the cost isn't upfront.

9. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I always include Apple Care into the price of the computer.
    I personally think it's stupid not to get it. It's about the same price if something breaks and it covers it for two years.

You act like it's a stupid thing to buy.
    If he can barely afford the computer, then he can't afford it if it breaks.
    Unless he has Apple Care.
    It costs more to not have it in a lot of cases.
    Ask the people that have gone through 2-3 macbook pros in their first year of ownership.

I bet your dad also gets pissed when his stuff breaks and has to pay a lot to get it fixed.
    And if it hasn't happened yet, it will eventually. It happens to the best of us.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree

I agree and I have the current MBP and find it excellent; the refurb has very good prices, a point worth noting if money is scarce.

Again, I agree; once you are covered by warranty, and Applecare, if something does go wrong your computer will be repaired or replaced at no cost to you. Good luck with your purchase; cheers.

11. 204467 macrumors 6502a

I don't act like it's stupid to buy, I act like it's stupid to buy if money is tight. And yeah, my dad gets pissed when stuff breaks, but since our electronics last incredibly well, it hasn't really happened yet (his five-year-old Dell has had one repair, which he did himself; he had to replace the backup battery. Plus, it had happened well outside of an extended warranty anyway).

I just don't like the idea of spending that much money when the only time I'll see it do some good is if the machine breaks. It's like betting against yourself (which is why my dad also refuses to buy life insurance). Just my thoughts.

12. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I've always cautioned against extended warranties from reseller stores (these are often uncompetitive). I don't think that manufacturer warranties are the same sort of thing though. I'd also caution against extended warranties for something you can reasonably fix yourself, so I personally wouldn't get one for a desktop computer.

And your father is exactly right in a way, insurance is a bet. They bet it won't go wrong, you bet it will. Question is - can you fix it yourself? If not, can you afford the gamble?

13. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Well, unless my name is Victor Frankenstein, I don't think I'll be able to fix a problem that involves life insurance...Oh wait, were you talking about electronics warranties? Sorry, I got distracted. ;)

14. pattman247 thread starter macrumors regular

so i have given it much thought, and decided that whats best for me is to wait, that way i can see what the new macbooks have to offer, as well as wait till this generation of macbook pros become last generation, so the refurb prices will also be lower. Since the 2.2 santa rosa macbook costs 200 less than the penrym, im hoping the same will happen with the montevina.
    I just feel that the macbook pro is the better computer, it looks like an age proven design, that wouldnt get old when time goes by, and when i become more of a professional :rolleyes: it fits in every trade so i wouldnt need to switch a computer in a few years. the screen real estate is adequete, and having a graphics card rocks in a portable, since u can play many great games as opposed to integrated.
    what i decided to do is wait till september whatever, when the macbook pros become really cheap, like the blackbooks did last year (1050 i think) and just buy it then. Before the year ends ill have enough money for apple care and then buy that to.
    I wouldnt like to see any of the current new features the updated macs have on the pro, such as the magnetic latch or the new keyboard (cause to me its the old keyboard since I already had a macbook for a year) and the magnetic latch causes the lid to move around which leaves marks on the palmrest, and not to mention screen :eek: I like a nice secure close.

So yea, on spite of all these negative feedbacks on the worlds best computer (which is opinion), im gonna throw in the towel and buy the one with the supposed faulty videocards, since ill get apple care anyways.....unless the new macbooks indeed have an amazing upgrade.