what should I do / can I do with an old Power Mac ?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bluebird3, Aug 3, 2014.

1. bluebird3 macrumors regular

OK so I'm finally planning on getting me a new computer, a laptop. Thank you my well served Power Mac G4 MDD with 17"? Apple studio display.....

I won't be needing an older one any longer for a space saving reason. I know apple can recycle it if I brought it in to a store I guess... I'm thinking about taking a HDD out and keeping it, this way I don't have to worry about file transfer. Perhaps sell the monitor ? I don't think I'll be using the monitor by attaching it to the lap top either... Money worth by trying to sell any of the devices?

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Depending on where you're located, there may be a market for it. Many of us on here will gladly buy old running PPC systems, although shipping cost tend to keep such transactions relatively local unless the price is REALLY cheap.

Where abouts(in general terms) are you located? I've personally been looking for a nice MDD and have been known to travel a bit for a good running high spec system.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Apple Studio Display still has a decent market especially with enthusiasts like eyoungren and I. We both really enjoy Studio Displays. Many people also enjoy the MDD so perhaps you can sell it off. Better than trashing the machine as it gives it more life and lets someone else enjoy it like you have.

4. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Please don't trash the MDD or send it to Apple for recycling; someone would happy take it off your hands! If I could of found a MDD 4 years ago when I just started getting into Macs I would have been ecstatic!

5. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

The monitor was 22" across diagonal 20" just the screen across diagonal.

----------

Wow

----------

Thank you for the pm.

6. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

Donate it to a poor, starving teacher. Lots of times, music teachers like myself won't get what other teachers get when it comes to technology and are thankful for anything we get!

7. bluebird3, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Just noticed suddenly my g4 stopped powering up. The power button lights up and the fans looks like trying to spin but it just won't boot up. The machine was working perfectly two days ago. Any idea to what may be wrong ? It's just so odd this is happening timing wise.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try a PMU reset.