What should I do? Dilemma.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Diablo360, Jun 8, 2009.

  1. Diablo360 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
    #1
    Ok here is my situation:

    I've been waiting to buy a MBA for the last few months and decided to wait for WWDC. All was fine and dandy until a few days before I noticed that Macmall.com was selling Rev. A 1.8/64GB SSD MBA's for $1099 after rebate. That's $1106 total with shipping. Seemed like a steal a few days ago given that the same refurbished units were selling for $1299.00 at the Apple store. I figured that price was so good that even if a newer model was released I would be "locked in" at such a low price it wouldn't matter. Now jump to today, I didn't expect Apple to slash prices this much on the new units.

    So my dilemma is, do I send back the Rev. A unit and buy a newer Rev. C? My main sticking point is price. I really didn't want to spend more than $1100, so the Rev. A was perfect, and it has SSD which I also wanted. With that being said, do you guys think it's better to send back the Rev. A and maybe buy the cheaper Rev. C with the HDD? After I sell off the free iPod (already have 2), get the student discount, and sell the free printer, it looks like i'll still be spending approximately $1600-$1700, which is way more than I originally intended on spending. I could care less about the extra hard drive space or the latest updates. The 64GB SSD is enough, and i'll only be using the computer for word processing and internet browsing, that's it. I considered the Macbook but decided against it because I wanted something ultra portable. Plus I just sold my UMBP, so the MBA was my final choice. With that being said, this will be my only computer during the next 3 years of law school and I want something that will last.

    Basically, I feel like I got a good deal through Macmall (did I?). The computer certainly "works for me," but i'm now second guessing myself. Argh, and now i'm thinking about the refurbished Rev. B's that will be coming out soon. Choices choices......

    Oh, and just fyi the Rev. A is still on its way and won't be opened until I make up my mind. So presumably there won't be any issues returning it other than the small shipping charge.

    Thanks in advance!
     
  2. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2009
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #2
    I purchased my first gen MBA just a couple of months ago for $1099, but it was the 80 GB HDD version. I suppose if you are only using it for web browsing and word processing, then it should be fine. If you want to do more with video, graphics and/or gaming, then I would say the new one is worth the extra money. I haven't had any big issues with mine, but of course I do notice that watching flash video can tax the resources a bit. Like you, I didn't want to spend more than about $1200, so I considered the clearance MBA and the base model white Macbook. I decided to get the MBA.
     
  3. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

    Insulin Junkie

    Joined:
    May 5, 2008
    Location:
    Mainland Europe
    #3
    I think you answered your own question in your post. You said that you don't want to be spending more money, and the computer you ordered suits your needs. That's all you need to know, in my opinion. So keep the unit you ordered.
     
  4. byke macrumors 6502a

    byke

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2007
    Location:
    LDN. UK
    #4
    I would send it back without a doubt.

    stability at a small upgrade of price, otherwise you would have bought a dell at 200 usd if it was just about price
     

Share This Page