What should I do? I have only one shot at this.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by girl-in-paris, Oct 19, 2008.

1. girl-in-paris macrumors newbie

dear all, i love my PBG4 1.33 to bits but unfortunately, the superdrive n the lower ram cache died on me and it was getting impossible to make space in the 80GB harddisk plus it was always going to sleep for no reason. It was just not worth it to repair, so i left it with my brother and made my way to Paris a month ago, laptop-less hoping that apple would launch a stunning new one and I could grab one here.

Sadly, I was not blown away by the new MacBook pro after playing with it all morning yesterday at the apple store. Like many, the keyboard just feels odd. Plus the weird and useless (IMO) French keyboard did not help make my typing experience any better. It had a weird tetris block as the enter button. Frankly, to me, its a joke and I cannot understand how anyone can use the teeny shift key on the left and find it comfortable. Plus, I was used to my PB matt screen and frankly and I'm afraid to take the plunge in hopes that I would "get used to" the new glossy screen with black bezel? Black? Seriously?
    i was so hoping for a one toned stunner but this so called refresh left much to be desired! I do love the feel of the unibody but doesnt the body look a teeny bit "chunkier"?

So, while i would love to move forward and get the latest from apple, im kindof sitting on the fence. But i really dont want to wait anymore and have only one shot at getting one.

Tomorrow my sister will get it from hong kong and send it to me via fedex. Problem is , im still undecided. The prices in Paris is just ridiculous especially more so now that the new old models are marked down. I've waited so long for it and it seems a "waste" to go for an older model? But i do love the old keyboard so much. Maybe it just needs getting used to? Also, the new mbp keyboard is missing the enter key by the spacebar? I really liked having that key.

By the way, I'm not using it for any kind of photography or intensive graphics. I just love the OS so much since i was intro to it back in 99. I like to watch movies on my notebook which is why I thought the glossy screen might be a better experience? I have an iMac back home and loved it. I never had any problems with glare on the imac but im afraid i would hate the glare on the new mbp.

Maybe its really time to move on? Thanks for reading my chatter. Write back how u feel! Having said all that, i have a choice to make

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Sometimes change is difficult but in the end you open your eyes to new things and adapt. You will love the new Note book I think you will be happy.

3. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

I have a mbpro 2.16 and use sometimes my brothers macbook, i don't see the problem with the keyboard. i am a two finger two hand typing kind of guy so maybe i can't really 'see' the difference, but i actually like the macbook keyboard. In France you can order a Mac and ask to get a US or UK keyboard, my brother did it for his macbook. Also you might be paying custom taxes for the laptop shipped from Hong-Kong, just a warning.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Personally, I'd prefer a refurbished early 2008 MBP. After looking at the new MBP, I'm even happier with mine and don't plan to change until the Nehalem/Clarksfield comes out.

5. MarkCombs macrumors member

New MBP

I agree, for the first time since the mid-90s I am very disappointed in new Apple Products. Seeing as this is a major upgrade, I'm shocked that: (1) the chip was not updated, (2) we lost a FW port, (3) there was no drop in price considering we didn't get a chip bump, and finally, (4) the lack of a matte option. Apple seems to be walking away from a VAST core group of professional graphic artists that work on matte screens. These new "glossy" screens are wonderful to look at in the dark when watching a DVD but when it comes to pounding out a dissertation for months on end, 12 hours a day, they are a HORRIBLE option. People report getting headaches from looking at the bright colors all day. One would think that Apple, having made serious inroads in the laptop market in the last few years would want to give us the option of either glossy/matte - I won't buy one!!!!! If Apple was smart, they would give us the option of either ordering a glossy with some type of treatment that removes the glare or come out with a matte option. If I was in your shoes, I would buy a 2.4 on closeout, put 4 megs of ram in it and run for the next 5 years.....

Just my humble opinion - it troubles me to criticize Apple - but I'm an shareholder and just I think this is an arrogant mis-judgement of the market.

M

6. MarkCombs macrumors member

A 2008 Mbp

How can you tell if your MBP is a 2008 model and how does this relate to the nVidia problem?

M

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

:apple: > About This Mac > More Info

Attached Files:

8. girl-in-paris thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello deadpixels, my sister is a two finger typing kind of gal and no key board bothers her too. But unfortunately, I'm not. I use all my fingers to type so I need to try and get used to the new keyboard or get the old version. Also, are you positive I would have to pay custom taxes? Can she write gift or used? To avoid the crazy taxes?

As for the keyboard option, unfortunately, it would take two weeks to get the american keyboard on the new mbp. Plus, the website does not sell the old new models anymore so no configuration. I would have to get one from a shop and request they change the keyboard at an extra fee of 100 euros and still wait 2 weeks for it. There's no win-win in Paris. And even if I end up paying the taxes, I would still be saving 200usd after the shipping and all!which ever way, im screwed. I am so kicking myself for not getting the old one when i had the chance. Now, all these hassle!! Why? Apple? Why glossy?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I actually like the chicklet-style keyboard like my Apple Wireless Keyboard. It's a very comfortable keyboard to me (and yes, I use all my fingers to type, not just two). I don't like the fact that the keyboard on the new MBP is black, however. I wish they'd offer color options for the keyboard (black, white, silver). Of course, that still doesn't address the black bezel, glossy screen and lack of upgrade in processor.

10. girl-in-paris thread starter macrumors newbie

i hope so too. Whichever one i get i think i would be happy coz having no notebook is just painful. And while I LOVE my iPhone to bits too, surfing safari and looking for accomodation and info. with the puny iPhone is starting to get on my nerves. I'm working my iPhone like its my pb and it takes a while to load web pages. Sometimes im afraid it would die on me. I need a real computer immediately. And since the launch, I haven't been getting any good sleep fretting over which one to get. I have the next 9 hours to decide.

11. girl-in-paris thread starter macrumors newbie

my keyboard back home with my imac is the chiclet style too. And i had no problems with it. But the ones on the notebook ... Erm maybe its the way i rested my hands. Plus i was standing at the store trying them out. See, i am trying to convince myself the new mbp is really alright. But the black keys are truly a bummer. U get grease all over it and I suspect its not easy to make them look clean. Just like the macbook air keys i had for three weeks and sold without regret.

12. girl-in-paris thread starter macrumors newbie

can anyone tell me what is good about the new 15' glassy display? Ive read plenty bad, but any new mbp owners there who actually loves the new display?or is everyone just "make-doing" like I'm trying to convince myself the display is not all bad. The new screen actually works better outdoors?

How about trying to present something or showing a dvd movie on the new 15' display? Is the old matte screen better in that sense?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For this question, I'd recommend searching the forums for the dozens of existing threads where the matte/glossy topic has been beat to death over the past week.

14. girl-in-paris thread starter macrumors newbie

well, there are lots of bashing for the new glossy and not many people have actually commented on having zero problems with their new screens and love it to bits. Either they cant be bothered to defend the new display becoz in this forum, there arw just so many gloss haters. And as I read this forum over the past week, many of us, including myself, can't seem to fall in love with the new gloss-glassy. So I'm hoping to hear people say they like the new display and have no problems with it and why they like it over the matte.

Im bad with things like that and when i get a notebook, i like to stay with it for years. So please bear with my endless questions.