What should I do? Need advice with MBP GeForce 8600M GT graphics chip

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jtomasi, Oct 4, 2012.

1. jtomasi macrumors newbie

My late 2008 17 inch macbook pro doesn’t boot up anymore, which is due to the logic board. This happened roughly 4 months ago, which was about 3 years and 9 months after I bought it and 9 months after the apple care had expired. About a month after it stopped working, I was in the apple store with my wife to get something with her computer fixed and asked the guy what I should do given the systems and he said that I needed to get a new logic board and that he couldn’t help because I was out of the 3 year extended warrenty.

That said, I just found out that the GeForce 8600M GT graphics chip could be defective and that apple was doing free repairs up to 4 years after the computer was bought. I am literally 2 months past that date.

What should I do?

Apple.com

Support

2. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

Set up and appointment at your nearest Apple Store and complain to them, they should still be able to fix ur board for free.

3. joshhedge macrumors regular

Same problem for my last 15inch, replaced for free last December. Don't take no for an answer and if need be quote about how Nvidia had to pay out vast sums of money to compensate for the faulty graphics chips.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

You may be able to still get your computer repaired without paying. Just kindly explain that your MBP suffers from the defective GPU and you are just barely outside of the extended grace period.