What should I do next?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hylekmi, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Hylekmi macrumors regular

Hey guys, I have a late 2009 macbook that started having kernel panics about a month ago. It always seems that they come when I'm doing homework. I have called applecare 3 times( about to be 4) and i took it to a genius. The Genius said that it could be a hardware problem and did a diagnostic on it. Nothing came back. He recommended that i go and buy an external hard drive. So $100 later I back my stuff up. It happens again, so I call applecare and they help me reinstall lion. The kernel panics stopped. Then last night, as i am typing my paper it happens again. I don't know what to do. I am still under warranty so shouldn't apple take care of it?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I see that you're running Lion. Did these kernel panics happen when using Snow Leopard?

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Does it always happen when you are using a specific app?

4. Hylekmi thread starter macrumors regular

No they didn't happen when I had snow leopard. Its usually when I have iTunes and MS word open. I think my 1000 dollar computer should be able to handle ms word and iTunes.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What version of Word, and is it up to date with all the updates?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm thinking its Lion. Have you tried going back to Snow Leopard and using that?

7. Hylekmi thread starter macrumors regular

I was told by the apple representative that i couldn't go back to snow leopard. Also, a dialogue box pops up from time to time but then goes away within a second and i can never read it. That may have something to do with it. I am using word 2008. I can never update it because when I try it says it needs another and its just a vicious circle.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Go here, download and install all of the Office 2008 updates, restart and report back if it happens again.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can go back to Snow Leopard. But you'd have to wipe your computer and start from fresh. Or, use a Snow Leopard Time Machine backup of your computer.

10. Hylekmi thread starter macrumors regular

I installed one of the three updates for ms word. It wouldn't let me install the 2 service packs because i didn't have the "software required"