What Should I Do Now?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by crazyfortech, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. crazyfortech macrumors member

    Dec 28, 2005
    Ok If you remeber I posted a thread about which processer is faster 876 or 500 mhz. Know that the new mac minis are out thery look pretty good, and I think I'm going to sell the powermac g4 dual 500 and save up money for the mac mini. It really looks like it has some nice features, I herad some like graphic card things but I won't be playing any games (well maybe exeptc for sims 2) well it only would be just for a little bit. I am really cofused I'm not sure what I should do I really love that new mac mini but I'm not sure if I should sell the powermac g4 and buy the intel mac mini.

    here are my tasks
    final cut express (new intel edition comes out)
    photshop cs3
    light flash games
    likee IM
    jsut a little about everything

    I don't really need all the extra expandibility of the powermac should I upgrade it or just sell the piece of junk

    Does anyone think that they'll be 499 any time soon?

  2. Chundles macrumors G4


    Jul 4, 2005
    Sell the G4, it's time to go Intel.

    CS3 won't be out for along time so you'll be running CS2 or whatever in Rosetta - means you need as much RAM as you can cram into that tiny little case (you can put two sticks in there now since it requires matched pairs, 2GB max is pretty damned good but pretty damned expensive) and you'll want the Core Duo model to really get the most out of Rosetta's emulation until the native version of CS comes out. Once you start looking at a Core Duo Mac Mini with 2GB RAM you're suddenly awfully close to 17" iMac money - a far more capable machine with the ability to add your own RAM very easily.

    You have a big decision to make then, maxed out Mac mini or a 17" iMac with more (3rd Party) RAM for a bit more coin. Personally, I'd go for the iMac and give yourself some buffer for future uses.
  3. crazyfortech thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 28, 2005
    well I'm really low on funds, and like the most l think I can go would be like 800.00 :(, I really can't afford a imac. Well i think that i don't really need photoshop then :( aperture or iphoto shoud be good?
  4. crazyfortech thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 28, 2005
    I also just got a 17" DELL ULTRASHARP MONITER
  5. crazyfortech thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 28, 2005
  6. 3dit3r macrumors member

    Nov 18, 2005
    What ideas do you exactly need? It seems like you want the mini, so get it. If you don't need the extra features and power of the imac, then the mini will be fine. However, the dual 500 is fine for what you are doing. I run much heavier apps on a dual 450 with no problems. Why not save up until you have enough to buy the mini or the imac? There's no rush, computers will be around for awhile...
  7. zap2 macrumors 604


    Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    The Mini ,is not really a PhotoShop Mac, but buy a Core Duo, then as more $$$ comes to you, buy a 1GB Stick, run 1.25, then buy another 1Gb stick have 2GB and PhotoSHop all you want
  8. crazyfortech thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 28, 2005
    anyone eles? I think I'm going to buy the mac mini
  9. law guy macrumors 6502a

    law guy

    Jan 17, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Ideas like buying advice, tips, etc...

    Sounds like you want to make the move.
  10. crazyfortech thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 28, 2005
    Ok I'll tell you my story....

    In August I decided I was going to purchase some kind of mac, first a imac g3, then I finally decided on a dual 500mhz powermac, i thought it fit my needs the best for 'bout 300.00. It came to me for 264.90 PLUS shipping. I thought I got a good deal but did not know much about macs, and didn't know what to do. For Christmas my parents bought me tiger for mac for 69.00. I thought that I had a great mac, but then I finally heard about intels.

    I have the powermac g4 dual 500mzh, I think it's ok, it doesn't really feel that fast but it only has 512 RAM. I put about 20.00 of my own money into buying a usb card, and some old pci wireless motorola card in. Now I can access the internet but I want this computer for about 2 1/2 more years and I know that I can do it for a mac mini. A powermac g4 might only last me maybe 1 more year. Now that I see the iLife specs I see that it won't really be that fast on my mac, and intel is the future powerpc is the past. I want a new computer with a warranty the new box and everything new, I think that it would work best for me.

    I allready bought a brand new ultrasharp dell moniter to use. I would love to use the DVI function of the moniter and vga so I can have 2 computers hooked up to the moniter.

    I have a budget now of under 600.00 maybe a little more I'll see

    (by the way I'm only 13 1/2 ) :)
  11. crazyfortech thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 28, 2005
  12. sam10685 macrumors 68000


    Feb 2, 2006
    Portland, OR
    sell the G4... the Mini is FREAKIN' beautiful. (i have a G4 mini but it's too slow because i got the 499 dollar basic one.) i would sell the G4 and save up for the top-end mac mini because some of the programs you have listed (final cut and photoshop mainly) are really processor intensive. the dual-core would be really good to have. the larger hard drive would be good if u use pictures a lot.

Share This Page