What should I do when the UI becomes unresponsive ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AntoineLec, Nov 24, 2015.

1. AntoineLec macrumors newbie

I was in this situation earlier today. I'm using a Mac Mini late 2014.
    At some point, I noticed the fan was running at high speed, although the Mac itself was not hot. Also the UI was really unresponsive.

I tried to save the running process list with a $ ps aux > ps.txt

I took several several dozens of seconds to return, then I shut down the Mac with the physical button. I could not find the file after rebooting, neither could I find the command in the history.

So now I am wondering what else I could have done in this situation to go back to a normal state without force shutting down the computer.

After rebooting, I tried to figure out with fs_usage which process was eating all the CPU time and I found an updater/installer for Adobe Creative Cloud that looked like a bad citizen. I can't say that this particular process is responsible for those problems..

So I'm looking for a way to easily track those kind of problems

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Leave Activity Monitor open with it sorted by CPU usage and note what process is hogging the CPU when this happens.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your ps.txt file should be in your user folder.

Click the desktop then hit shift-command-g (all three at once) then copy in the line below and return. You should see the ps.txt file in the Finder window.

Code:
    ~/

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603