Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Afro1989

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
picture16it.png

I don't really understand what's the best choice here. I'm sorta' a Mac noob so can someone explain each choice for me and which one would be the best? Thanks.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
It's not actually that important, depending on what you want to use the image for (what your end project is). If you were working on a section of a larger print project, for example, you would keep the color profile (so that the section matches the rest of the image/book/whatever). Which means that the colors you see on-screen won't be 100% accurate to what goes to plate/print. For most things I usually convert or discard the embedded color profile, personally. I've never noticed a huge quality difference or color variation...

Reading through these might answer your question more thoroughly, but essentially it is similar to monitor calibration, except you are talking about the orientation of the file, not the current monitor settings.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Not related to your question, but it seems like I sure have seen that same hideous GUI skin a lot today. Or has that just been you posting a lot today?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Maybe the best thing to do in your case is to turn colour management off and suppress the warnings.

Menu: Photoshop>Color Settings>Settings (choose Color Management Off).

Towards the bottom of that dialogue box is a small checkbox entitled:
Profile Mismatches (Ask When Opening).

Uncheck that and live out your Photoshopping days blissfully unaware of U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 and the like.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
dpaanlka said:
Not related to your question, but it seems like I sure have seen that same hideous GUI skin a lot today. Or has that just been you posting a lot today?

Off topic again, that System 7 website is great!

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I usually just ignore those Photoshop warnings by discarding the color profile. But then again, the only graphics I ever do are for the internet which doesn't really need color management.

harveypooka said:
Off topic again, that System 7 website is great!

Thanks I appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.