What should I do while I wait for my iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ThatWasAwkward, Mar 12, 2008.

1. ThatWasAwkward macrumors member

ThatWasAwkward

I have made the decision. I have sold my 8gb 2nd gen iPod Nano and have bought an 8gb iPod Touch. Unfortunately, I am faced by dire circumstances: It won't get here until Friday! Oh, the horror.

Anyway, I'm going stir crazy waiting for it. The suspense is destroying me. I've already watched all the videos and read all of the documentation about it on the Apple.com site. I've read multiple reviews. I've scoured youtube for hours and hours watching people review theirs or try to scratch their faces with razors (the iPod's face, not the reviewers'). After all that, I still have TWO ENTIRE DAYS to wait. The humanity.

So, what suggestions do you have for me that might help me pass the time until my iPod Touch gets here? Help me maintain my sanity!

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Desktop Tower Defense.

Nothing to do with iPods, but it will distract you for hours and hours on end

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, you could go through iTunes and make sure that your library is well-organized with album art. Then you can use cover flow like it was designed to be used: without a bunch of blank album art covers.

4. thatonekid393 macrumors member

Going through my cover flow I discovered two albums missing covers

TO THE GOOGLE!

5. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Rofl! I remember doing exactly all that stuff waiting for the iPod touch for 4 months D=. From the morning of September 5th to the morning of December 25th watching YouTube videos, reading reviews, scaling Wikipedia pages, and learning quite literally EVERYTHING about the iPod touch. Damn it was hell. Once I'd seen just about everything (Mid-November-ish :p) I just waited and tried to keep my mind focused on other things, and of course taking the occasional visit to the MP3 Player Demonstration area of Best Buy :D

Now I'm doing all that stuff waiting for my iMac which I'll have roughly 5 months from now! :D August 17th! Well...once June comes around I'll have the SDK/2.0 (ironically iPod touch) software to keep me going until that precious iMac rolls into my doors.

Anyways, just chill, watch forums, watch TV, maybe go out side a bit :rolleyes:
    You are going to be unbelievably happy with your end result though.
    Have a great week, good luck with your iPod, and be cool! :D
    ~Peace~

Edit: Just noticed my excessive use of smiley faces, don't you love 'em?

6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

7. puke macrumors regular

I bought a 32gb ipod touch a week ago or so, and I got it from Apple online store the day after I ordered it :) lucky me.

for extra stuff to do tho: fix your Dock on your mac (of you use Mac). Get album covers for itunes :)

8. woodyman macrumors newbie

Man am I glad to read that I am not the only person who couldn't wait to FINALLY get the ipod touch in his hands. I nearly went crazy driving from store to store, surfing the internet and reading just about everything I possibly could about the touch. But ohhhhh the wait was well worth it. As far as any advice goes, if you can pending you don't have many responsibilities just dream and dream and read and inform yourself as much as possible; otherwise just do the the stuff you need to and and in forget about it for the next 48 hours or however many it might be now.
    Have fun exploring this amazing gadget.
    Woodyman

9. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I def. like the cover art idea. There is a nice widget that grabs the cover art for you and puts it in your songs directly as you listen..so I just left my library on for a few days and let the touch sync periodically so that all the songs could have some art.

I also recommend checking out the webapp repository to see what you like. Lots of cool stuff in there to keep you busy for the 100 or so days until June.

10. jbarr macrumors regular

As you are surfing around to your favorite iPod Touch sites, don't forget to bookmark those you want to reference later. Browsing on the iPod Touch isn't as "clean" as on a desktop, but when all you have is an IPT and a WiFi connection, it's nice to have access to your favorite sites.

Another option to this is to store your favorite bookmarks on Google Bookmarks. Then use http://google.com/ig/i for an iPhone/iPod Touch-friendly page.

11. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Read up:D

UNtill i got mine, it was my desktop picture:p

Learn as much as you can about it, jailbreaking (if you want to), the little tips and tricks...
    http://www.google.com/m
    that is (shorter) and diffrent adress too. (but not personilized)

12. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Print out a scale-pic of an iPod touch and walk around with it. You could even put some headphones in.

13. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

this is off topic, but i could not resist.. Ubuntu, what version of Ubuntu are you running?

I am running Hardy heron, 8.04B6

14. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

That's what I did while waiting for my Touch to arrive.

I used Amazon.com to snag album cover art work that was missing from my collection.

It was nice whent the iPod Touch came and the music and artwork was ready to copy over.

15. rjflyn macrumors regular

Well no one has mentioned it yet. You need to figure to jailbreak or not. Which method to use. What apps are you going to put on that bad boy. Watch videos that pertain to that, download the needed files as well if that what you are going to do. Is your machine set up to do the job, that may take some prep and that might keep you occupied at least for another afternoon.

Rj

16. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Spend some time making a big colourful banner to welcome your iPod Touch to its new home, eg

"WELCOME IPOD TOUCH TO YOUR NEW HOME".

:)

17. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

This sounds like a kid waiting for Santa on Christmas.

18. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

I LOVE Santa

and

I LOVE my 'Touch! :D

19. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Sadly I've not used Ubuntu in ages. I used it on my Windows lappertopper until it died (from other causes).

How is Ubuntu now? I'm considering trying it out again. Even though I'm happy with OSX, I always found myself wanting Ubuntu Linux, too.

20. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

its as nice as I could wish it to be.... I have to dual boot, thanks to apple not supporting linux:( but the wireless is still a pain, better in the .14 kernel than the .11 kernel the overall feel is on par if not above xp. Very smooth.

As soon at I get my MBP (my graduation present only 1.5 yrs:D) I am going to dual boot OSX and ubuntu, the best of both worlds.

21. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

i think i will do this....
    anyway, i am in the same situation but i can't get mine untill spring break in april....
    *sigh*
    :rolleyes:

22. Diwata macrumors newbie

Diwata

what's the name of the widget & how do I use it? thanks!
    i'd like to use one also if you don't mind...

23. ThatWasAwkward thread starter macrumors member

ThatWasAwkward

Because I got a pretty good deal online. I don't have a whole lot of money, so that kind of thing is important.

Anyway, thank you all for your suggestions, they have been most helpful. According to Fedex my new iPod is on the truck for delivery today! Hopefully soon my wait will be at an end.

24. ThatWasAwkward thread starter macrumors member

ThatWasAwkward

A Fedex truck just came, delivered a package to a different apartment in my complex, and left.

The agony continues.

25. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Oh that's rough!

(as I type this from my iPhone :p)