What should I do with 4HD Bays and FW800?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by oceanzen, Jan 4, 2008.

1. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

When the new Mac Pros come I'll be getting one.

I'm going to be using Final Cut Studio 2, Logic Studio & After Effects CS3, possibly Photoshop as well.

I'd like to use all 4 bays and possibly use the FW800 (or Ethernet?) for the external (1TB?) time machine drive.

So if I have the standard, say 320GB Drive, just for OSX and apps.
    How would you recommend I use the other 3? I'll probably fill them with 500GB drives, I don't have a bottomless budget. But would you recommend RAIDing them? If so, What kind of RAID?

I'm sure this is asked a lot so if there is a definitive Mac Pro RAID thread or web page, please let me know,

2. silbeej macrumors 6502a

If i had money, and a Mac Pro, i would buy a 10,000RPM Raptor, load the operating system and applications on it and thats it. Take two 1TB drives, and mirror raid them, and then use the original 320GB for random stuff you don't care as much about. That would mean you have a backup copy of all your good stuff, a really fast loading disk, and some storage left over for other stuff.

3. oceanzen thread starter macrumors regular

oceanzen

I've read that the 10k raptors now have about the same data rate as the 750GB 7200 RPM drives.

Would you put all the programs on the 10k drive? or just the OS?

Thanks

4. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Well i built a PC, and use a 74GB (largest at the time, they now have 150GB) Raptor for Windows XP pro, and all my applications, games etc, and i only use about 20GB. then i've got three other hard drives for my music, video and projects. If you want speed, the strip raid two 7200RPM drives and then mirror raid two more 7200RPM drives for security. I ran a test on my 500GB 7200RMP SATA2 drive, and it started out with a higher transfer rate than my raptor, but then slowed down a lot, think it went from 80mB/s to 20 ish, where as the raptor, which when i bought mine was only a SATA1 interface, started at around 60mB/s and went to around 40 ish. I also load XP with that little bar thing only passing by teh screen once, so it's quick, but there are faster ways to run it, IE strip raid and stuff, but with that you will have a lot of space on your performance drive, where i only needed the OS and programs/games. SO its up to you, i've never used RAID, but i've heard good things about the speed, but when you have mult drives, it is even more likely that they will fail, i'm not sure why, it just is. I've been lucky to not have a single dead drive, and i've got the raptor, and three other WD drives, and i'm ordering more over break, so try it out and let us know how it went.

5. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Take a look at this, i just found it and it is a great overview of raptors, also, keep in mind there are the new raptors out, where as i am recomending them with the ownership of an older one, so they are even better now. On this page i'm linking to you, take a look at the second performance review he links to, note the location of the raptor with respect to the seagate raid setup, it does fairly well.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000800.html

6. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

When I get the new MacPro, I think I will be doing the following...

Hard Drive Bay 1: Leopard and Apps
    Hard Drive Bay 2: iTunes Music Only
    Hard Drive Bay 3: Windows XP
    Hard Drive Bay 4: Time Machine

This thing better show up at MacWorld.

7. oceanzen thread starter macrumors regular

oceanzen

I looked at the second link on there
    [​IMG]

I think out of the top2 I'd rather have 1.5TB RAIDed than 150GB with slightly better speed

Thanks for the link

8. peejack macrumors 6502a

I was thinking about doing this too.

The 36GB 10K drives are about £60 or so pounds still, would the idea be to just install the OS there or install all my programs like logic, and it's plug in's etc??

Thanks

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

As you will be using Final Cut and probably Photoshop I would recommend using one of your drive bays to install a "scratch disk" This will speed up both programs .... :)

10. oceanzen thread starter macrumors regular

oceanzen

Is the scratch disk to be kept blank?

And also is the scratch disk needed for FCP or just Photoshop?

Thanks

11. peejack macrumors 6502a

Whats a scratch disc?? lol:confused:

12. oceanzen thread starter macrumors regular

oceanzen

My understanding is limited maybe someone else can clarify.

13. oceanzen thread starter macrumors regular

oceanzen

I just found this
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/s/scratch_disk.htm
    What is a Scratch Disk?

Space dedicated on a hard drive for temporary storage of data. Scratch disks are commonly used in graphic design programs, such as Adobe Photoshop. Scratch disk space is only for temporary storage and cannot be used for permanently backing up files.
    Scratch disks can be set to erase all data at regular intervals so that the disk space is left free for future use. The management of scratch disk space is typically dynamic, occurring when needed.

14. oceanzen thread starter macrumors regular

oceanzen

So, what I'm thinking of doing is

1: Os and Apps on standard-maybe 320gb drive
    2: 500gb drive for my Logic files and music, also space for scratch disk
    3: 750gb drive RAID 0 with
    4: 750gb drive for video footage

5: All backed up to a fw800 time machine 1tb drive.

I realise the 4 drives add up to 2.32tb but I'm never going to use that much space.

15. oceanzen thread starter macrumors regular

oceanzen

What is the difference between U100 and s300 when it comes to hard drives?

I'm trying to decide n the best hd to buy

Thanks