Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rentalanimal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Seattle
I have a quad core 08 Mac Pro that runs fine but I never use it. Any fun ideas on what to do with it?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
power_mac_g5_bench.jpg

power_mac_g5_table_drawers.jpg

g5-coffee-table11.jpg

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I have a quad core 08 Mac Pro that runs fine but I never use it. Any fun ideas on what to do with it?
Send it to eWaste?

Seriously, it's 8 years old. It will never support PCIe 3.0. It can't support newer instruction sets. Only four DIMM slots and four PCIe 1.1 slots. Crippled by Apple's proprietary EFI and GPU strategies. Incredibly power-hungry electronics.

hes-dead-jim[1].jpg

LOL - or turn it into furniture!

Reactions: pat500000

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Obviously you can still use it as a computer, but the problem is that you're already saying you already don't use it any more, which implies you have something better.

You could use it as a file/iTunes/media/backup server, but it's kind of big and inefficient for that purpose.

Honestly I think the best responses in this thread are to sell it or give it away someone who has a purpose for it and will make use of it.
[doublepost=1470248499][/doublepost]
Haha this is pretty cool, but is it a bench or a table. If its a bench, i feel sorry for those legs at the bottom... They will squish like pancakes lol

Bench. Here's the story:
http://gizmodo.com/this-bench-is-built-using-two-power-mac-g5s-1649709456

I agree, I don't think those handles are up to the task of supporting people. Maybe a kid's bench.

buster84

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Hahahah wow. Got it! No hackintosh suggestions??

I got one, this will be a fast and cheap build.

Buy two of these E5 8 core processors ($160)
Get a a socket 2011 dual motherboard (new on ebay) ($208)
Get a basic case or gut your mac pro one. ($50)
Get a powersupply ($50)
Get an RX480 for basic gaming (or better if you game more) ($240)
Get used 64gb of used ram off ebay (or spend more for the faster 1600mhz one) ($120)

and after your all done you'll have a really fast 16 core 32 thread computer with an xenon that can run windows 10, or turn it into a hackintosh. It'll cost you about $828 for all of that but if you have a few of the items already (case, powersupply, ram) it'll bring the cost down.

18586 CPU benchmark

Last edited:
Reactions: rentalanimal

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I thought the "it's more than 2 seconds old-buy a new one" mentality was mostly absent in the MP sub-forum. Apparently I was wrong.

I'm still using a 1,1(2006) as my main office computer. Your 3,1 remains a useable and Sierra can be made to run on it provided that you use an appropriate GPU upgrade.

If you can't find a use for it, you could easily find someone who would buy or take it from you who does want to use it-likely as their main computer. These old workhorses aren't dead yet, despite what Apple may want you to think.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
if you cant find a use for I would recommend selling it rather then scrapping a very capable machine. even a Quad core 3,1 can fetch a good $200 on eBay. a 3,1 is still a very capable mac especially if you buy a second CPU and Heatsink for it and upgrade it to dual Quad cores. I am sure there are many people who would love a 3,1 they are good starter Mac Pros (and with a little work can run Sierra you dont even have to change any of the hardware sierra supports all the GPUs el-cap does) and @AidenShaw the 3,1 has 8 Ram slots and has 2 x16 PCIE 2.0 slots as well as the 2 4x 1.1 slots.... it also has Harpertown (Penryn) CPUs that do have SSE4. which is more then the Mac Pro 2,1 im using which only do SSSE3 (and because of that i cant run sierra, but a 3.1 can)

Reactions: filmak

TheStork

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Hahahah wow. Got it! No hackintosh suggestions??
Turning it into a case compatible with a hackintosh set of components takes some work. But, it's doable if you do it right.

See the tonymacx86 Mac Pro case mods and the Completed Mods forum sections. I, too, have a 2008 Mac Pro and eventually plan to make a case mod. Here's some "classic" informative threads (some might have old PC components, but the case mod techniques and procedures are still valid):
As I mentioned, there are newer case mods in the forum section. However, the a lot of them reference the above three threads for influencing their efforts.

Enjoy the reads.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Poor person with a large solar panel array on their shopping cart....

Assuming all poor people are homeless...?

I'll clarify; I meant a person unable to afford a new computer where a 2008 MP would be a major step up. I've done it with old cars in the past, gave one not worth a whole lot to a single mom who's car just died and she needed a car to get to work and keep the rent paid and kids fed.

Reactions: filmak

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Assuming all poor people are homeless...?
No, but the hyperbole meant to point out that older cMP systems are power hogs. A non-homeless poor person might be having trouble paying the electric bill - so a "gift" of one of the most power-hungry PCs ever made might not be a blessing.

I'll clarify; I meant a person unable to afford a new computer where a 2008 MP would be a major step up. I've done it with old cars in the past, gave one not worth a whole lot to a single mom who's car just died and she needed a car to get to work and keep the rent paid and kids fed.
Very gracious of you. But on theme, gifting your Yukon XL to the single mom is different than giving her your Corolla.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
No, but the hyperbole meant to point out that older cMP systems are power hogs. A non-homeless poor person might be having trouble paying the electric bill - so a "gift" of one of the most power-hungry PCs ever made might not be a blessing.

Very gracious of you. But on theme, gifting your Yukon XL to the single mom is different than giving her your Corolla.

All good points!

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016

This assumes you have a Corolla to give. What's better for her situation...a Yukon XL or no vehicle at all?

Reactions: NY Guitarist

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
I got one, this will be a fast and cheap build.

Buy two of these E5 8 core processors ($160)
Get a a socket 2011 dual motherboard (new on ebay) ($208)
Get a basic case or gut your mac pro one. ($50)
Get a powersupply ($50)
Get an RX480 for basic gaming (or better if you game more) ($240)
Get used 64gb of used ram off ebay (or spend more for the faster 1600mhz one) ($120)

and after your all done you'll have a really fast 16 core 32 thread computer with an xenon that can run windows 10, or turn it into a hackintosh. It'll cost you about $828 for all of that but if you have a few of the items already (case, powersupply, ram) it'll bring the cost down.

18586 CPU benchmark
That board is not going to fit in "a basic case"

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.