What should I do with my MacBook now?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by adamlbiscuit, Nov 10, 2010.

1. adamlbiscuit macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was browsing the web with my MacBook today, and Safari locked up when loading a webpage. Eventually, everything locked up from the finder to the menu bar. I left it for a while to think about it, but it was a no go. I turned the MacBook off at the button and I rebooted, only to be graced by the flashing question Mark folder.

I tried to reinstall the OS, but when it got to the part where it scans for a HD to install to, it couldn't find a thing. Neither could disk utility.

So I take it the HD is dead? Up until it's final moments it ran super fast, and everything worked and ran perfectly. I didn't get the usual symptoms.

I was saving up for a new MacBook Pro anyway, but I need a laptop ASAP for working on-the-go. Is there anyway I could maybe sell the MacBook in it's current condition to help me with the costs of a new laptop, or should I maybe invest in a new HD?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

New hard drives can be had for under $100 and can be installed yourself. The fastest way to get things up and running again would be to buy a new HD or buy a new machine and sell your broken one later.