What should I do with my new MacBook pro retina?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mitchell112694, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Mitchell112694 macrumors newbie

I just purchased my first MacBook pro here is the model:

MacBook Pro Retina 15"
    2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    •
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    •
    512GB Flash Storage

what programs are a good buy or just anything that will make me love my MacBook pro even more

I do some video and picturing editing and A LOT with iTunes and downloading large files and Internet searching

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I love Aperture on the Retina display. If you do a lot with pictures and don't already have Aperture I would suggest getting it.
    Also if you don't like Apple Mail, I would recommend Sparrow. I love it and have been using it ever since it was in beta. Very clean and simple email app.
    Carbon Copy Cloner is another utility I use a lot, it used to be free but is not any more. Still worth it.

There are also some free apps that I always have on any of my macs:

Handbrake
    VLC
    The Unarchiver
    uTorrent
    Quicksilver
    Spotify
    (I pay for the Premium Subscription)
    SMC Fan Control
    LogMeIn
    GFX Card Status
    (helps save battery by allowing you to select which GPU to use)

Other than that, just enjoy the amazing screen!

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

One: Buy a router with a USB port on it that you can connect an External to connect to it.

Two: Buy and powered USB2 HUB to plug the router's USB port.

Three. Buy at least two External Hard drives that have USB2 on themselves. Then plug those into the powered USB HUB.

Four: With two more ports free on the USB2 hub (after the first two are hard drive externals) then save money to buy more externals because Video eats up hard drive space faster than you can sneeze.

Five: Download the free program VLC and another free program called HandBrake. This way you can trans-code most any video format.