What should I do with my old iMac g3?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Luigi239, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

I have an old grape, 333mhz iMac with 280mb of ram, and Panther. (I also have an os 9 disk) I don't know what to do with it. I used it for some web browsing and music for a while, but now I just use my Macbook. I tried folding, but it won't download any Work Units.

So, what should I do with it, besides turning it into a Macquarium? I want to put it to good use in my house. I also don't need a file/media server, as I have _Plenty_ of Hdd space.

Thanks.

2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

3. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Same here!

Install a 120 GB hard drive and go to town. It has great speakers. I have one in my kitchen. I used to run cable to it with my old eyetv.

Its great for having tunes and looking up recipes in the kitchen. I also have tiger on mine so I can have the weather satellite widget. These are still very capable machines. I have a dvd player too if I ever want to watch some snl.

I just can't believe these are going for $50 on ebay:rolleyes::D

4. Luigi239 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd like to turn it into a jukebox, but I really don't have a need for one. :p I would put Eyetv and use my Tv micro with it, but it only has a 333mhz processor and panther on it, so Eyetv won't run. Is there anything else that I can use that would work with Panther?

5. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

maybe not any eyetv they sell now. But mine is OS 9 compatible. Match old technology with the same. It works great. I got this for $20 here. I only have a 400. You might have to wait and ask, but its all here.

I still stay a kitchen computer is a great option for these old girls.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You shouldn't turn a working iMac into a MacQuarium... there's always somebody that could use it.

7. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I'll take it :D
    I could always use a mac to hold me over until I can afford a new one :rolleyes: and my first one

8. BII macrumors member

You could install linux on it, depending on the distro, a lot of times linux can be like a shot in the arm for older machines.

from there, you can make it do whatever you want, a firewall, file server, jukebox (using amarok, that would be awesome)

9. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I put ubuntu on my 333mhz imac and its like its a new computer.
    Everyday functions are abreeze. music, email, most internet. etc all good.
    I am now thinking of donating it to a needy student at school.