What should I do with my old PC laptop?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Weerez935, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Weerez935 macrumors regular

I'm not positive this is the right section but it seemed more appropriate than the apple hardware forums.

I have an hp g70-467 laptop collecting dust in the closet. Currently the hard drive is dead and it says there are no bootable drives.
    According to crucial I can upgrade the ram to 4 gbs and have numerous options for hard drives.
    I'm just not sure what to do with it. We currently have a macbook (wife) and an air (mine) and I'm getting a mini server 2.3 i7 soon from the refurb store. I though about running Ubuntu on it but I really have no reason to run plex or other media servers on it. I'm considering turning it into a digital picture frame or something.

What would you guys do with it?

The processor is a pentium series and the graphics card is certainly dated so I'm not sure what its capable of.

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

Know anybody that needs a computer?

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What about donating it to a charity that, in turn, services basic computers and sends them to the third world? I have donated some of my old computers to charities.

4. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

I would fix it and donate it to the same type of charity but one that gets them into the hands of people in the USA.

5. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

Fix and rebuild it and then give it to someone who needs a computer. What OS did it originally run?

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

There are lots of needy people in the world; I wouldn't worry about where specifically it goes.

Donation sounds like a fine idea though.

7. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Maybe, but I would rather take care of our own needy before other countries.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

That much was obvious.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

I would leave it as-is, and just donate it with no HD in it. In my area, Goodwill does repairs and training.

10. Weerez935 thread starter macrumors regular

11. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

12. Weerez935 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to donate it. I wish I had a hdd and windows so the person could use it though.

13. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

Maybe have a look on Craigslist or fleabay and see if they have a copy of Windows and a hard drive for it. What Windows OS was it capable of running?

14. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I agree with "donate." For awhile I ran a branch of a local charity where I provided our clients with computers, since they're so essential nowadays yet many clients couldn't afford them. We always had an extremely high demand and low supply of laptops, so any places near you that do something similar would love a laptop I'm sure.