What should I do with my Powerbook G4 12"?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by midge99, Nov 15, 2007.

1. midge99 macrumors newbie

I've got a 12" Powerbook G4. It's got a 1GHZ processor, 768MB Ram, a 40 gig hard drive.

I'm wondering if I should install Leopard. If I did, I'd have to purchase some form of storage, due to my tiny little 40 gig hard drive down to about 5 gig spare space...

Anyways, what do you guys think I should do? Is my Powerbook worth the work it would need to make Leopard doable? Or do I hang with Tiger till I can afford a new lappy all-together?

If I were to upgrade storage, should I upgrade my internal hard drive? How hard is an internal hard drive swap? Could I possibly do a solid state internal hard drive somehow..? Your opinions plz, oh wise ones.

2. jelloyacket macrumors member

I've got a 12" PB, and I plan on getting an external hard drive, instead of upgrading my internal. I bought Leopard, so that will let me run Time Machine, and if I do end up getting a new machine, I can always use the external with that.

3. ryanmcd02 macrumors member

Would you consider trading computers for one with more memory?

Not memory - hard drive space.

4. jwt macrumors 6502

I think if you're asking that question, you don't need it. Tiger is a perfectly good and stable OS, and I personally see no real value in Leopard other than staying current.

5. midge99 thread starter macrumors newbie

well, I think you've answered my question. Save my money, get a new machine someday. Hopefully an iMac 24".... oooOoooo ahhh.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I see lots of value in leopard. That said, Tiger is perfectly good. Since that PB is a few years old already, I'd save up for a new computer rather than pouring more money in to something that is already a bit out of date. (not knocking your computer - I used to have that exact configuration of 12" PB, and it was the best computer I've ever owned for the time I got it)