What should I do with this new Verizon tiered data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by buddygogo, Jul 6, 2011.

1. buddygogo macrumors newbie

As some of you may know Verizon is switching to a new tiered data plan that is crazy expensive. I currently have a cheap bottom of the line basic cell phone. I was planning on upgrading to the new iPhone 5/4s when it comes out in September but this new tiered data plan Verizon is pushing makes things a lot more complicated. I have to have unlimited data. I am a student/developer and I don't want to have to worry about how much data I can consume on my phone. My contract is already up so I can renew it whenever. Here are my options.

1. Buy a cheep phone with an unlimited data plan then buy the new iPhone in September at a significantly raised price.

2. Buy the iPhone 4 at a much cheaper price and keep it till my plan expires in 2 years and get the latest iPhone then.

3. Wait for the iPhone 5/4s in September and buy it at a cheaper price with a ridiculously expensive data plan.

In case anyone thinks I should just switch carriers, I have to stay with Verizon as my whole family is on Verizon. I also do not want to switch to an android phone.

2. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

4. Buy an iPhone 4 now, then if you decide you want the iPhone 5, sell it and pay the difference.

3. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Me thinks you have not much time left to secure unlimited data on VZ; it ends today? New plans start tomorrow.

If you want UL data, get yourself out to a VZW location or Apple Store. Sooner rather than later.

4. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Buy the 4, be happy, sell the 4, take a slight loss, buy the 5, be happy, repeat when the 6 comes about.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Go with #2. You will like the iPhone 4. Plus, if you find that you really need the new model, you can sell your iPhone 4 and put the money toward the 5, and still have unlimited. You will win in the end, my friend!

And congrats for having the strength to use a CDMA carrier. I'm too addicted to SIM swapping. :p

6. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Yep, I'd be on vzw.com ordering that Verizon iPhone right now.

7. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

d'Oh! Forgot about online ordering. Good point.

No need to leave the house. :p

8. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Cheers ;)

9. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Order the 4. You have an hour left on the east coast. I went and got one yesterday. I finally jumped ship from t-mobile because I wasn't looking forward to being bought out by AT&T. Turns out I got a sweet discount through work. I should have switched months ago.

10. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I was fortunate enough to lock in unlimited data with the Palm Pixi Plus (and suspend service without billing until June of 2012), but if I didn't then there is no way in hell I would be a customer and allow Verizon to rape my wallet with their laughable $30/2gb minimum plan :p

11. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Curious: How'd you get them to do this?

My understanding, after speaking w/VZW corporate, is you can do it for 6 months (or two 90 day periods) in a calendar year. I had them clarify that a "calendar year" equates to 12 months from the date of first suspension.

Hmm. Kudos to you if you were able to do this though!

12. Fleon85 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Unlimited data is gone

13. palpatine macrumors 68040

I will admit that I do not understand Verizon's policy change, so I apologize if this sounds confused. I think they are saying that the unlimited plan I have with my Droid will suddenly end unless I upgrade. Verizon has yet to contact me with information, and quite frankly I cannot figure out where any relevant details are on their website.

Personally, I am ticked off about it, and I think I will just go back to dumb phones. They are putting a (figurative) gun to my head and saying buy something new that you don't need or lose out on the plan. Should I expect similar behavior in a year or two as well?

I don't want an iphone4 a month or two before the iphone5 comes out. What a load of BS (in my opinion).

I'll take the money I will save from NOT wasting money on a phone I don't need or want, and look for another option. I don't talk much on the phone anyways. I just want the internet access. mobile hot spot?

14. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

You do not have to upgrade your phone to keep unlimited data. It was specified, however, that if you DID upgrade your phone, you would be able to keep unlimited data, because a lot of customers were concerned about what would happen when the time arrives for them to upgrade. So upgrade, don't upgrade, whatever, your unlimited data is still active.

15. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Guess the rep I talked to was mistaken. He told me it was every year so I figured I could do two 90 day suspensions till the end of the year and then two more 90 day suspensions in 2012 to bring me to june but I guess I will have to check on that to be sure.

Thanks for the info barkingDog I appreciate it :)

16. palpatine macrumors 68040

that is great news. thank you.

17. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Most welcome. ;)

But I've been mistaken about some of my facts in the past about this Palm Pixi process (psywzrd can attest to this :eek: ) -- so I'd definitely be interested to hear back about what information you gather.

18. buddygogo thread starter macrumors newbie

Funny guy,funny................:D

19. buddygogo thread starter macrumors newbie

So many good advice,i know the iPhone 5 will maybe launched in september,but i like iPhone very much,i cann't stand the time no iPhone,so i will buy a iPhone 4,when the iPhone 5 launch,i sell the 4,then buy the 5/4s:D