What should I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CalCrickson, Aug 31, 2014.

1. CalCrickson macrumors newbie

So i have a mid 2010 Macbook Pro stupidly i erased the HDD earlier only to cause myself a lot of problems now i am left with the flashing folder with question mark, And when i get to utilities and click reinstall Os X I get the error, Could not find installation information for this machine, Ive tried to make a bootable usb through windows but i cant even get to the point where the pc asks if i want to boot through usb as everything i click on startup takes me straight to internet restore, and i also dont have a disk so what am i meant to do about all this?, Also when i try pick a startup disk i dont even have one to choose, I Just need to get Mac re installed im guessing but havent got a clue how to fix all this :mad::mad:

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Use Internet Recovery. It will download a copy of OS X back to your Mac and install OS X.

Your another alternative is to make a bootable USB through another Mac. The only way to make a bootable USB is through OS X itself.

3. CalCrickson thread starter macrumors newbie

Internet recovery is messing up itself, And yeah would be pretty impossible for me to do the usb, Could i make a bootable Mac OS X Dvd using a windows computer though?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Internet recovery should work fine. If you're near an Apple store, I'd suggest scheduling a visit.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope.

6. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

you can, search for how to, i remember you need a software for it. TransMac i think :cool: good luck

it would be probably faster to use a USB drive

7. CalCrickson thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah ive saw transmac, I Tried to use it but the mac wouldnt even give me the option to boot through usb, I Now have mac os x running on a virtual machine on my computer so how could i use this to fix my Macbook pro? maybe create a bootable disk through that or a bootable usb?

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

If I remember rightly.....

If I remember correctly the 2010 machine came with snow leopard on disc in the box and when reinstalling to a wiped drive you need to download the original OS that came with the Mac.

This cannot be done as an internet reinstall and you will have to dig out the discs install snow leopard then update from there. I hope you haven't thrown them away.

9. CalCrickson thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately i got the Mac second hand so i dont have those disks, Could i not make a bootable usb with the Snow leopard installer on as i have mac running on virtualmachine on another laptop

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well then you could.

First, make sure Snow Leopard has all the latest updates applied.

Then, download Mavericks via the App Store in the Snow Leopard VM. Use DiskMaker X there to create a bootable disk.

11. CalCrickson thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait so i have to download Mavericks Via the app store and make it bootable using Diskmaker x? Just making sure i get everything right

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You got that straight.

Make sure the USB is at least 8GB in size.

13. CalCrickson thread starter macrumors newbie

Watching videos, when people go to Maverick in the Mac app store for them it says download, but on mine it just says upgrade, would this do the same thing?

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes, it would be the same thing.

15. littlepud, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014

littlepud macrumors regular

16. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

According to Apple's Mavricks System Requirements, you can load and run Mavricks. You only need the old cat version if you are upgrading. When I am refurbishing 2010 MacBooks I boot them from the USB stick and do a clean install of Mavericks. See below.

OS X Mavericks: System Requirements

Learn about the system requirements for OS X Mavericks.

To install Mavericks, you need one of these Macs:

• iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
    • MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)
    • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
    • Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)
    • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
    • Xserve (Early 2009)

Your Mac also needs:

• OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed
    • 2 GB or more of memory
    • 8 GB or more of available space

-------------------------------------

So you have access to a Mac running Mavricks, create a bootable USB stick. If the other Mac is owned by someone else, here is a great opportunity for both of you to make bootable USB sticks.

• Download OS X Mavericks from the Mac App Store, if you haven't already. If it tries to start the installation, just close it.
    • Insert your USB stick/dongle (you'll need one that's 8GB or larger) and open Disk Utility.
    • Select your drive in the sidebar and go to the Erase tab. Format the drive as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and name the drive "Untitled." (Note: if you already have a drive or partition named "Untitled" connected to your computer, name it something else and change the corresponding variable in step 5's terminal command, or you might experience data loss!).
    • Click the Erase button and wait for Disk Utility to finish.
    • Close Disk Utility and open up a Terminal window. Copy and paste the following command into the Terminal: sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction
    • Press Enter. The process should take about 20 minutes, so don't cancel it or eject your USB drive while it's doing its thing. The responses from Terminal should look like:
    Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 100%...
    Copying installer files to disk...
    Copy complete.
    Making disk bootable...
    Copying boot files...
    Copy complete.
    Done.

When it's done, you should get a message stating the process is finished. Now, you can restart your computer, hold the Option key to access the boot menu, and select your new USB drive. From there, you can launch disk utility, format your drive, and do a clean install of Mavericks. Then you restore from any backups you may have.

17. CalCrickson thread starter macrumors newbie

Vuala looked like everything worked, Unfortunately i know no body with a mac so i had to revert to using VirtualBox with mac running and i had so many problems doing this, Making the Usb manually also didnt work first time for some reason, i must have got something wrong but i just used Disk Maker X And it worked perfectly and now im installing Maverick with 13 minutes left hopefully everything goes well

18. CalCrickson thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems like i could also be getting an error here too, Was stuck at 1 Second remaining checked the log and i have : Verifying InstallMacOSX.InstallESD.dmg
    im trying to install once more and the same thing is in the log there what should i do? if i wait long enough will it get past that stage?

19. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

You build the USB dongle on another Mac that is running Mavricks without problems. Then use the dongle on your Mac to diagnose your HD problem.

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It will stay at 1 second remaining for several minutes. Don't interrupt the process. Let it finish the install. If I remember correctly, it was close to 14 minutes before it finished installing, when it showed the 1 second remaining for me.

21. CalCrickson thread starter macrumors newbie

I Just left it to do its thing, about half an hour later it restarted and its now installing so everything has gone well i think

22. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

How did it go?

23. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

So did you build the USB stick successfully?

If so, did you run Disk Utility on the Macbook's HD to see what was wrong with the file system and/or physical drive?

Where you able to repair the HD or did you have to do a clean install of Mavericks?

Did you make plans to set up Time Machine with an external drive to start doing backups?