What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jabar18, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Jabar18, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015

Jabar18 macrumors member

I'm currently running a 2007 MBP that is completely maxed out. It's got 4GB of RAM, plus a 320GB 7200RPM drive, but it's 8 years old and I'm hesitant to put an SSD in there at an attempt to prolong its life. It seems that $ could be better used on a new Mac.

Here's what I've used my MBP for to this point. Websurfing, Apple's Mail Client, iPhoto, iTunes, handbrake, web streaming video (used that a lot, especially streaming sports to my HDTV.) Word Processing. I guess I'd call myself a very light user. I like to keep a bunch of tabs open in Safari, but that's about it.

I was thinking of getting a Mac Mini, and making that my primary computer and then still using the MBP for portability, but then the only issue is that when the MBP finally croaks, I'll still need to buy a Macbook Air or laptop equivalent anyway. Does it make more sense to keep using my 07' MBP and also make the transition to a mid-range Mac Mini or to just bite the bullet and get a decent MB Air/MB Pro with good specs and use that as my primary computer and hook up a monitor? (I can't deal with a screen size under 15' for very long.)

Any feedback would be much appreciated! For further context, here's the thread I posted about upgrading my MBP.

Price is a major consideration. My budget is around $1000, and although I could go up to $2000 I'm not looking to spend that kind of money this year. Hence the Mac Mini/still using 07' MBP option.

Basically, better to get a 15 inch MBP and drop $2k on it to use as my primary computer, or keep the old MBP/buy Mac Mini/buy smaller MB Air to use when my current MBP dies.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1845260

2. gooser macrumors 6502

have you considered getting a mini and replacing your macnook pro with a chromebook when the need arises?

3. reese2147 macrumors regular

Just to add a quick note, I also have a 2007 MBP and I installed a SSD into it.... The increase in performance is wonderful.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The interim solution (until the old MBP croaks) of buying a mini just doesn't make sense to me. With your light usage, why not just hold onto the old MBP until it croaks or you can't stand it any more, then buy an MBA/MBP to replace it?

Putting an SSD into the old MBP actually does make sense if it were to extend the life for another year, as long as it is smallish drive -- 256 GB probably, 1TB certainly not. Calculate your cost per year (purchase price + add ons + repairs - residual value)/years of use and see how it changes with an SSD.