What should I do?

Incisus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
Hi guys, long time lurker here. Before today, I did not have a personal laptop (returned my 18 Pro). I just had a giant Thinkpad workstation for...well, work. I hate lugging it around as it is massive, so I find myself traveling just with my iPad Pro (and I travel a lot). Last week I was out of the country and found myself in a pickle trying to prepare and send documents in a specific way. I had to ask someone back in the states to do it for me as my iPad could not.

As such, I went today to the Apple Store and picked up a 18 8gb/128gb MacBook Air and was hoping to get some guidance from the community. Should I keep it, or is there a better machine for me?

There are two major driving factors in my purchase decision: cost and portability. The new MacBook Air met both of those, but I am bit concerned about the dual core, the 8gb of ram, and not so much the 128gb, but maybe you can tell me otherwise.

I mainly plan on using this machine for office 365 (email, document writing, powerpoint, etc.), light development in Xcode/IntelliJ Java + Python (no more than 100k lines per project) and everyday browsing. I keep all of my documents in the cloud, so I do not think that storage will be a problem (again, maybe I am wrong). More specifically, here are the applications that I plan on using:
  • Office 365 suite
  • Spark email
  • Xcode
  • IntelliJ Java
  • IntelliJ Python
  • Spotify
  • Atom
  • Logic Pro X (I like to mess around, nothing remotely professional)
  • Photoshop (same as above)

When at my home office, I am using my desktop and or Thinkpad. I mainly see myself using the MBA during travel and occasionally at home for personal use.

With that said, what are your thoughts on my purchase decision? Would you recommend a different line or a different configuration? Should I have gotten a 17 NTB 13" pro instead? FYI, I have very happy with the size of the MBA.

Thank you in advance!

P.S, every other MacBook I have ever bought has been a max specced Pro (which I felt I never utilized appropriately).

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I think it's a great little machine that'll be more than capable for your needs. I picked one up for the girlfriend and we had similar debate between the Pro/Air, however the Air does have the TouchID which is nice, and better battery life - which is important. I think the only thing the Pro offers is the graphics (Which still aren't great). So assuming you're happy, just stick with it. As you've said you have more powerful machines for when you actually need the power, you don't need to lug around a powerful portable for that 1% time you may need it.

Incisus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
I think it's a great little machine that'll be more than capable for your needs. I picked one up for the girlfriend and we had similar debate between the Pro/Air, however the Air does have the TouchID which is nice, and better battery life - which is important. I think the only thing the Pro offers is the graphics (Which still aren't great). So assuming you're happy, just stick with it. As you've said you have more powerful machines for when you actually need the power, you don't need to lug around a powerful portable for that 1% time you may need it.
Thanks for your opinion, I do really like it so far! It occasionally hangs up for a second when doing a bunch of things at once. I think I have just gotten too spoiled :).

Incisus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
Thanks for your opinion, I do really like it so far! It occasionally hangs up for a second when doing a bunch of things at once. I think I have just gotten too spoiled :).
I finally made up my mind and wanted to update this thread in case anyone else is facing the same predicament. I ended up ordering a refurbished 13" quadcore but canceled before it shipped. I purchased the 18 MBA to be cost-effective and portable. For the $1149 that I paid, I feel that I got exactly that. It is a wonderful machine and I am sure it will handle all of my needs for the next 2 years.