Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Air, Pro or wait?

• Air

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Pro

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Wait for the new MBPs

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters

harrisone23

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
OK, i have been waiting for a new mac laptop to come out forever!! The day the air came out I almost ordered it and Im still considering it. I no the MBP is more powerful and 15". Im going to do a little video editing; video slideshows, family trip movies etc... Or should I wait for the new MBP. These are the configs of what i would get (present day)

Pro.

15"
2.6GHz
2GB Ram
250GB HD
1TB Time Capsule

Air.

13"
1.8GHz
2GB Ram
80GB HD
1TB Time Capsule

Please give me some advice!!
Thanks in advance.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
Well to give any kind of advice, we'd really have to know how often you plan on editing those videos? Is it a once in a while kind of thing? How big are they? Are you considering the Air because you'd really like the extra portability of it, or just because it's new and glamorous? Would you be bothered by the (relative!) bulkiness of the MBP or not mind it? If you really need the power for video editing, you'll definitely want the MacBook Pro, and in that case I'd say you should wait just a little bit longer for the new ones. If you only do the video on occasion, and could really use the portability of the Air, then go for it.

india349

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2006
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Getting an MBA for video editing is shooting yourself in the foot. Consider this:

1. Most digital camcorders are FireWire...the Air doesn't have that.

2. If you're making slideshows and videos to share with your family, you'll probably want to burn DVDs...something you can't do with an out-of-the-box MBA.

Honestly, getting the Pro would be a no-brainer to me. You have the advantages that I listed above, not to mention the flexibility of a larger screen, more USB, dedicated graphics and more.

Unless you need to carry a laptop into the woods, on your back, on a bike, to do video editing, I think the weight difference between the two shouldn't matter. :D

Get the MBP when it is updated. You won't regret it.

rowath

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
Good choice, I wouldn't recommend hooking up a video camera and editing video on a MBA. Wait and get the Pro.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
I think the MBA is the best choice if you don't need lots of video power all the time.

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
get the MBP if you plan to do alot of video editing often
get MBA if you do very little video editing

and as for the "Waiting" part all depends when you need the laptop
if your not in a hurry then i would say wait it out
since it's due for an upgrade soon

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
I disagree

Getting an MBA for video editing is shooting yourself in the foot. Consider this:

1. Most digital camcorders are FireWire...the Air doesn't have that.

2. If you're making slideshows and videos to share with your family, you'll probably want to burn DVDs...something you can't do with an out-of-the-box MBA.

Honestly, getting the Pro would be a no-brainer to me. You have the advantages that I listed above, not to mention the flexibility of a larger screen, more USB, dedicated graphics and more.

Unless you need to carry a laptop into the woods, on your back, on a bike, to do video editing, I think the weight difference between the two shouldn't matter. :D

Get the MBP when it is updated. You won't regret it.

The weight issue is big...Don't get me wrong I agree with most of what you wrote, but the MBA is so light, and you definitely notice that...I've had the MBA for a week, and I absolutely love it!! speed is fine, and I have enough space for what I need...but like most have written if you're going to be doing some video editing than wait for the MBP, but don't overlook the weight issue...I take my MBA everywhere I go now...I could not do that before with my laptop:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.