What should I do?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jeff32, Apr 11, 2008.

  1. Jeff32 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    #1
    I have 600 some dollars so far towards it, should I buy the Mac Mini or keep saving and get the iMac? I have a nice-size monitor for the Mini so size doesn't matter. iMac is better, I admit but I am wondering if it is worth the wait and money to get the iMac. I am also going to be a switcher as I am running Windows at the moment. The iMac I am getting is about $1700-$1800.
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    Don't buy either yet, as an update (redesigned Mac Mini?) is impending. Wait for any near-future update before making a decision.
     
  3. psychofreak Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #3
    I think the iMac is worth it, especially since both machines are out of date and the time spent saving will lead you to a better Mac in June.

    You could always sell your monitor too...

    Also, check out the refurb iMacs.
     
  4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

    FJ218700

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2007
    Location:
    Blue Dot, Red State
    #4
    the slight performance gains that will be introduced by penryn may not warrant the wait. It will be another year until major upgrades happen to those platforms.

    OP, if you have a decent monitor, I'd get the mini, $1000 more for a poor LCD panel and a larger HD/slightly faster processor is not worth it IMO.
     
  5. fivepoint macrumors 65816

    fivepoint

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2007
    Location:
    IOWA
    #5
    Jeff,
    It sounds like you are aching to start the 'mac experience'. I would suggest giving in, and getting started! Either the mac mini or the iMac will likely work perfectly for you! Both are very nice machines.
     
  6. Jeff32 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    #6
    @ Tallest Skil - Thanks for the info.

    @ psychofreak - I did, I'd rather get a brand new one though. Anyway, I was planning on getting it around June anyway ;) .

    @ FJ218700 - The Processor on the iMac is 2.8, the Mini is 2.0.

    @ fivepoint - Yes, very much.

    The monitor is off of an older desktop computer that is said to work on the Mini. It's size is about 17".
     
  7. HLdan macrumors 603

    HLdan

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    #7
    If your older monitor is 17" do you have to get the 24" iMac? You can save a few hundred and get the 20" 2.4Ghz. If you were even considering the Mac mini then you were willing to accept the much lower power it offers from the iMac.
     
  8. fivepoint macrumors 65816

    fivepoint

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2007
    Location:
    IOWA
    #8
    However, I must contradict myself by stating that the 24" iMac is definitely worth waiting for. I got mine a month or so ago, and can't say enough good things about it... and that screen! OMG!
     
  9. rolex54 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #9
    yeah, there is nothing like sitting down to that 24" monitor, its great
     
  10. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2006
    #10
    ok here is a thought...


    let me buy your mac mini from the apple store.

    I can load $ 2000 dollars worth of software for free!!! (i.e Microsoft office pro, comic life, iremember scrapbooking and tons of games)

    all for the price of mac mini.

    if your interested, reply back to this thread.

    I buy macs every week from apple store.


    I except cash or money orders.

    I am a legitimate person and don't rip you off.

    I will even install Windows XP no extra charge.



    --Eric
     
  11. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

    FJ218700

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2007
    Location:
    Blue Dot, Red State
    #11
    :rolleyes:
     
  12. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #12
    uhh, what?

    Get the 24" iMac, you won't be sorry. Check the refurbs if you want to save a little bit. If you do go for a mini, I would hold out just a little bit longer.

    Also the 20" refurbs are $999. I have been really trying to hold off from buying one just for the heck of it, I don't need it, wouldn't use it that much, but I don't know, I just want one of those at that price.
     
  13. ceehjayem macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2006
    #13
    I'd definitely wait as both the iMac and Mac Mini's are supposed to get an update in the near future. That being said, it all depends on money. I think they're both very good computers. I'd say if money doesn't matter, go with the iMac. It's a very solid fully functional computer and will have a faster processing speed than the Mac Mini.
     

Share This Page