what should I do!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Oct 13, 2008.

  1. zeiter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #1
    I bought my 2.4 Peryn macbook pro when they got released. I was wondering if I should sell my macbook pro right now and buy the new model. Do you guy think the money lost on selling the peryn one will sum up to the newest addition of the new one?

    Thank you :)
     
  2. rychencop macrumors 65816

    rychencop

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    http://www.northaugusta.net/
    #2
    keep it! give these new laptops at least 6 months to work any bugs out they might have. no need to rush and buy the latest/greatest when there is nothing wrong with the one you have. now if yours was 2+ years old...i would say go for it.
     
  3. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

    Tex-Twil

    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Location:
    Europe
    #3
    This is not really clear :) Which "addition" are you talking about. I'd say that if you can sell it why not. But I think it will be difficult to do this without adding some extra money.

    On the other hand, if your current moel runs fine, you can keep it, it is still a very good notebook.

    Tex
     
  4. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #4
    I am worried that the new models won't have the yellow tint issue and that they will have a blu-ray dvd player. Dell already offers Blu-ray for it's inspiron line...

    I currently have problems with my macbook pro: yellow tint, uneven screen, noisy etc..I might just call on wednesday and see what's up. What do you think?
     
  5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

    Tex-Twil

    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Location:
    Europe
    #5
    well, find a buyer and sell it but as I said it might not be easy. Dont forget that it is still under warranty so you could get a replacement to solve the problems.
     
  6. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    would they give me a new one if I call after the new macbook pros are released or they are going to give me the same thing as a replacement?
     
  7. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

    Tex-Twil

    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Location:
    Europe
    #7
    I think you'd get the same model as you have now.
     
  8. tremendous macrumors 6502

    tremendous

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    Location:
    UK? Yeah I'm OK. Stop asking.
    #8
    and you'll be totally honest in your ad when you sell it, right?
     
  9. PDE macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    #9
    I would wait until the bugs are ironed out (around 6-12 months). There WILL be problems with the new units so jumping on them now is really only for those who don't mind dealing with Apple rev A products and the frustration. I learned a long time ago that it's not worth it and that if you have something that's working well and stable without issues, it's better to keep it until you are convinced that most of the issues with the new models have been fixed. If you don't use your MBP for work, then maybe it doesn't matter, but if you need your MBP I'd stay with the one you know is working. Reading discussion forums like Apple's own ones is a good way to gauge the situation. With regard to the yellow tint: we have no idea what displays they'll use. Judging from the past, they might even use the same displays as in the current crop.

    Also, who knows, your computer's GPU might break and you might get lucky with Apple replacing the entire computer for you. Again, my experience is that often Apple repairs fix one thing and create something else and that there is always a good chance they'll mess up so much that they'll offer to replace instead. :)
     
  10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #10
    My thoughts exactly. If your computer is working perfectly well, why sell for something that - while newer and probably more powerful - has yet to have all of its potential glitches spotted and ironed out? Keep it for now and wait several months for potential problems to be addressed.
    Cheers
     
  11. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    Location:
    Memphis, TN
    #11
    Yup. Wait a little while. At least see if the new ones have any issues that they have to face.

    Also, if there's one thing nice about Mac hardware, it's that it doesn't lose its value NEAR as much as other companies. You'll still get some money out of it.
     
  12. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #12
    Do you even need a new computer?

    Your answer to that is the answer to where or not you should sell your current computer and buy a new one.
     
  13. avigalante macrumors 6502

    avigalante

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2007
    Location:
    New York City
    #13
    Since when did laptops become commodities?

    If you can do everything with your current laptop, then what is the need for a new one?
     

Share This Page