What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CrazyScott, Nov 20, 2008.

1. CrazyScott macrumors member

CrazyScott

Hello,

My parents are going to get me a laptop for Christmas i have a choice between the old macbook pro --- matte screen, 2.5 CPU, and 512 VRAM. or the new base model macbook pro

What would you do?

thanks
    CrazyScott

2. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

3. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

New base model Mac Book Pro. Next year save some penny's and pump up the memory and hard drive if needed.

4. Neil1138 macrumors regular

5. CrazyScott thread starter macrumors member

CrazyScott

I am not a fan of the new one cause i like the matte screen and i have 4 gigs of the old ram...but i feel like if i get the old one i am wasting my aka parents money on old tech.

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

The ONLY downside of the new model that I've seen is the glass and it's consequences. That small thing considered, I'd definitely get the new one. Well, I did..:rolleyes: And happy I did too.

Even though matte is better, the new MBP is so bright that when on it overpowers many of the reflections.

7. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I used to love matte screens but am quickly becoming a fan of the new glossy ones since I've had mine. Granted I have't tried it out of the home yet but so far its really nice. That said, if its really going to be a problem then I'd go w/ the old matte one. The RAM is besides the point because you could still sell it. How much do you like the old nVidia GPU issue? At least you've got 2 years warranty on it w/o AppleCare. I'd go with the new one but ya I'm biased too.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

either way you look at it, you win

You really can't go wrong with either machine. Right after I bought my 2.4 MBP, a girl was selling her two month old pro on CL with your specs for FOURTEEN HUNDRED BUCKS! OTOH, I'm quite happy with my 'base' model.

The 'old' model has a matte screen, which you may prefer, and a beefier video card.

The new one has the unibody, glossy screen, less video memory and two video cards.

I could go into detail about what others like or don't like about the two models, but I'd say their evenly matched. One has more ram and more video ram, the other a faster FSB and can be easily updated, etc. Macworld and Barefeats bear this out; you won't tell a difference between the two unless you're doing some very heavy lifting.

Go to the applestore, try out the 17" legacy pro and the new 2.4 on display. Which display suits you more? Can you tell a difference in safari, etc? Don't overanalyze it, get the one you want, and then enjoy the heck out of it!

9. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Personally, I don't like the look of the unibody MBP - the black bezel and the keyboard are not very attractive to me. This is why I chose an Early 2008 MBP recently.

10. CrazyScott thread starter macrumors member

CrazyScott

yea i rushed in and bought a macbook last year and i really regret it. I hate the glossy display and the chicklet keys. I put 4 gigs of ram in it and a 320 hard drive. If i were to buy the older model i would beable to use the ram and i have an enclose where i could use the 320 and put the 120 back in the laptop and sell it off.

11. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

The glossy screen is absolutely gorgeous. Those who complain have not yet learned the ability of focusing their eyes correctly.

12. six.four macrumors 6502

That's a narrow minded opinion. It's fine if you prefer the glossy display, but you aren't in a position to criticize those who would rather have a matte display.

I like the traditional glossy display (sony X-BRITE/MBA) - but I also love the matte display on my MBP. I personally find the new MB/MBP gloss to be too overwhelming in a well lit room or outdoors. That's my personal opinion and I am certain I have the ability to focus my eyes just fine.

13. CrazyScott thread starter macrumors member

CrazyScott

thanks for your guys opinion. Even tho everybody thinks i should get the new MBP i think i am gonna go with the old one...to many things on the new one i can't get past

14. eba macrumors regular

Unless the polls have closed, I'll weigh in with another vote for the new model. I have both and like them. But there is one HUGE difference: If you plan to take your MBP with you anywhere - meaning actually use it like a portable - then the new unibody design outweighs all the other issues. I travel a lot and the durability of the new model is several orders of magnitude greater than then the old. The other stuff is just shades of difference.

15. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Get the new one and apply a matte skin onto the screen to reduce glare. Problem solved.