What should I do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThugZilla, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ThugZilla macrumors regular

I bought an iPhone yesterday at Best Buy with their special $100 price for Silver Reward Zone members. I signed up for the two year contract, but I'm going to cancel it in a month because I'm on a T-Mobile family plan. The phone itself was free, due to the Reward Zone coupons I have. I'm planning to sell it on eBay, because I have a G1. But after thinking about it, I'm going to make approx $450 on it on eBay, I'm going to pay $300 for the 1st month (1st month is prorated, and the Early Termination Fee). Is it really worth it for me to sell it, or should I keep it? My mom is going to kill me if I keep it lol

2. jason72780 macrumors regular

How would the first months be prorated. It's a whole month. If you went partway into month 2 that would be prorated, but the first month is straight up.

3. ThugZilla thread starter macrumors regular

They told me that because I am activating in the middle of their billing cycle, they have to charge me for it.

4. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Sounds like you should have asked a few questions before signing on the dotted line.

5. ThugZilla thread starter macrumors regular

Im going to call AT&T today, complain a bit, hopefully get my activation fee waived, get rid of the data plan (I'm going to call from my unlocked old Razr), and ask about why I had to pay extra.

6. jason72780 macrumors regular

That makes sense now, but you still need to have the phone a month to keep it so you'll have 2 prorated months which equals 1 month.

7. iFerd macrumors 6502a

It is my understanding that they will not cancel the data plan for a 3G phone. First generation, yes, but not 3G. Your contract is for an iPhone, and I would be surprised if it matters what phone you call from.

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

as far as i know all iphone have had first month prorated. I got mine on july 11, my billing cycle was reset on july 17. I had to pay july11-16, + july 17-aug 16 on one bill. This happened to a lot of people. Ithad nothing to do with signing up in the middle of the month.

9. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

selling it will make you a profit, keeping it will cost you. Plus you already have a g1. I would stay with that.

10. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

11. ThugZilla thread starter macrumors regular

I just called AT&T to get my $36 activation fee waived. Some Indian guy picked up, I acted like no one told me about it, said that I was never charged one with T-Mobile, and he took it of

12. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

13. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Maybe it was one of the kids from Slumdog Millionaire.

Why did you buy it to begin with? Did I miss something?

14. ThugZilla thread starter macrumors regular

Best Buy.

I just unlocked it, my Tmobile serivce works, BUT, when I try to go on the internet, it says I have no data plan, even though I have a dataplan for my G1. Why doesn't it work?

EDIT: I figured it out, I had to change the APN.

15. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

He is itching to get rid of his money.

16. dave006 macrumors 68020

You have to configure the iPhone to use it on T-Mobile...:)

It depends on the T-Mobile Data plan that you have but here is a quick summary.

Settings > General > Then go to Network and then Cellular Data Network

Change the APN to: epc.tmobile.com (if this does not work, you may need: wap.voicestream.com this is the older APN for tzones and works for certain areas only) Make sure that “Data Roaming” is enabled from the Network screen.

Dave

17. ThugZilla thread starter macrumors regular

What?

18. jlwillia macrumors regular

What he is trying to ask, and what we all wonder, is why did you get an iPhone in the first place? Yeah, it's cheap at Best Buy right now, we get that. But even if you sell it, it is uncertain whether or not you will net a profit.

So why on earth did you sign up for a 2 year contract and not think this through BEFORE? That is what we are all dying to know...

19. ThugZilla thread starter macrumors regular

I got it because of the price it would cost me, and the price I see them selling for on ebay. I'm not completely sure I'm going to sell it, its an option.

20. ThugZilla thread starter macrumors regular

I've decided to keep the iPhone. Just called AT&T from my old Razr and got my data plan cancelled!. $66 saved now.

21. jlwillia macrumors regular

Until they see that you are using an iPhone without a data plan, at which time they will automatically add the data plan to your plan. You and about a million other people have tried this. It only temporarily works. However, you might be able to get by using the iPhone for a few months without the data.