What should I do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blackjack07, May 19, 2009.

1. Blackjack07 macrumors member

Blackjack07

Hello,

I have a MacBookPro that is 7 months old. I bought it as a refurb, and I havent had any problems for a long time, until I recently started noticing that I received little shocks on my hand/wrist on the left side of the touchpad.

Another thing is that the audio plug has something wrong with it. Every time I plug in my headset, earplugs, or speakers, I need to adjust and tweet my plug into my book. It gets quite irritating sometime :).

I will be moving to Belgium in a couple of days, but I was wondering whether I should really give it to apple, and let them fix it. I am quite a newby, but my teacher told me about apple's customer service, and that it was excellent.

Stupid question, but I can turn it into a store in Belgium right? I bought it here in the US, but I will live in Belgium.

Thank you, and sincerely,

Blackjack07

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Ok try using the grounded cable that came with your macbook pro charger, ya know the one with the three prongs that plug into the wall. It is usually a grounding issue when you get little zaps or the wiring may be wrong in the socket. I have no idea if they will take it in Belgium but I hope they do for you

3. Blackjack07 thread starter macrumors member

Blackjack07

I just got off the phone with apple, they told me that apple care in recognized internationally, so even in Belgium. That is good news :). I think I should turn it into apple, because I am still under my warranty.

Another question:

Do you think I should upgrade my apple care program, because my teacher said that under that plan, you are pretty much safe for everything. (except for a couple of things offc)

Thank you

B07

4. maceng2009 macrumors newbie

zaps from the top case

You are correct, this could be a earthing issue or it could be something to do with the top case shorting out on a component inside the machine. If it's the old mbp then the keyboard and top case is one part. This could be contacting a component that should be covered with kapton tape or purely a loose connection with a wire inside. Would be worth getting this looked at. I get this all the time on machines I work on.

The same applies to the new mbp but the keyboard is part of the top case, but this is one of the major structural parts so if the machine is out of warranty then this could be a little bit costly.