What should I expect when selling a 3G after a new Iphone is announced?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ferris23, May 27, 2009.

1. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I know a lot of people probably sold the first gen Iphone when the new one came out and I recall they would fetch a pretty penny because they could be unlocked for any network. In fact they still seem to selling for a good chunk of change on Ebay.

Is the same true for the 3G or is there something about this phone that won't hold it's value like the first....

Is there even any way to guess what I should expect to get for a mint 3G?

Also is there anything special that needs to be done besides just removing the sim?

Man it seems like just yesterday this thing was my precious, I still love it. If the new model doesn't blow me away I'll keep it. But I have a feeling the new Iphone is going to be spicy.

Thanks.

2. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Well they can't be fully unlocked like the first gen cell phones thus harming their value some what.

While a unlock does exist it's only for a specific version of the OS and if your running 2.2.1 or later your out of luck.

3. nicheco macrumors member

i'll probably end up just giving it to my lame brother that keeps breaking his iphone.

4. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Unless you bought your 3G early and have the 5.08 bootloader. That will let you roll the baseband back to the unlockable 2.28.0. I've done it on mine (temporarily, for testing).