What should i expect with in store activation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lfetsch, Jun 15, 2010.

1. lfetsch macrumors newbie

If preorders are this bad, what should i expect from in store activation? I have work at 4 the day it comes out, do you think it would take less then 3 hours?

2. wishman35 macrumors regular

Expect a long ****ing line ...

If you can, just request that they don't activate it in store. Don't let those nerdy greasy kids touch your phone.

3. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I would get to the store as early as possible. I am predicting not many are going to be able to activate between 10-6 anywhere in the US.

4. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

It's going to be a ***** nightmare. I would wait at least 2 or 3 days before going into an Apple store to buy one.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Depends on your area. We have 6 Apple stores in D/FW, lots of AT&T stores, lots of BB, RadioShacks, and Wal-Marts. I suspect a lot of the opening day line will get dispersed a bit.

For the 3G I got to the store about an hour before opening. Due to some difficulties w/ my FAN account, the entire affair was about 2 1/2 hours IIRC.

Got there about the same time for the 3Gs. I think the crowd was slightly smaller, and I had no issues with my FAN account. Was in and out in about 1 1/2 hours. (incl. the one hour wait before opening).

So, you need to see if your friends have done it before and find out what kind of lines you can expect. Best bet, if you work @ 4PM...go really early and camp out. Get your phone, play a bit, go to sleep...get up for work.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

On launch day, the vast majority of the traffic hitting AT&T will be coming from employees working in Apple Stores and its resellers.

Completely different scenario than the amount of traffic allowed in from the Internet to pre-order today.

7. vanfanel1 macrumors member

I expect mass hysteria! dogs and cats sleeping together!

8. bigbrowntruck macrumors member

You only hope to is get there early. After people start getting their iPhones by Fedex expect activation server overload. Just like today. You get too many people doing the same thing at the same time and server is down.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

LOL...it's living together...:D

10. rayward macrumors 68000

[Mr T] Pain! [/Mr T]

11. xenuprime macrumors 6502

Launch day: Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

12. iPhone 4 Me macrumors newbie

anyone know for sure if we can purchase in store and then activate at home? They wouldn't let me do that last year. Activation hung up around 11pm....I had to come back the next morning to complete activation. Nightmare.