What should I expect

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 7of9, Jul 10, 2010.

1. 7of9 macrumors member

EDIT: Original Post.. ( I'm torn..... Buy 8GB memory or the new seagate momentus XT HDD? I have the new uMBP 2010 i5.... Which should I do?
    )

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

It's all dependent on how you use your machine and your budget. You can't post a 2 sentence thread like this and expect an answer.

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

personally the 8gb memory,

the xt is great, but only has 4gb ssd, so you will still be relying on ram alot with the spinning portion of the drive.

i would vote 8gb memory hands down...especially on the 13"

4. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

What do you use your MBP for? Do you find yourself in need of extra RAM or just desire it? I would do RAM before a new hard drive if I needed the RAM, but if it is just a desire, get the hard drive, since it will actually speed up your computer, where as a RAM upgrade that doesn't get used is a waste of money.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As it does not depend in any way on your needs, get the one you don't need.

Sarcasm aside, what are your needs and how do you use your Mac?

6. 7of9 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry was I the car.... I have a WD 500gb 7200rpm hdd w/ 4gb ram an I play games and photshop etc

7. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

Since you already have a hard drive and RAM, you don't need either upgrade to play your games and photoshop, and especially the etc.

Not to be an ass, but if you ask a question and expect a reasonable answer, you have to give us more information than "etc." How much do you do task X or task Y, do you find yourself running out of RAM? Seriously, we didn't ask about your usage for our own amusement.

Sounds of it, get the hard drive. You likely don't max your RAM out, or need extra even if you do. Get the item that you will notice, the hard drive.

8. 7of9 thread starter macrumors member

Ok I so I when ahead and ordered the 8GB memory from Mushkin, what should I expect? What kind of performace increase should I expect (I do a lot of gaming, photoshop, itunes. ) also anyone have mushkin memory? and good things or bad?