What should I get? iPad or Fire

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sangdushi, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Sangdushi macrumors regular

I've already had an iPad 2 before and i absolutely loved it. I sold it to get money for macbook air and now I'll be selling my windows laptop so I'll have a little money for another toy.

so which decision to make. My time with the iPad was marvelous and I have nothing to complain of.

the fire on the other hand is dirt cheap at 199. my tablet uses will also be 98% web surfing or reading. 1% playing games. 1% writing a quick email or a document.

what do you guys think?

2. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

IPAD 2 for sure.. if you want to wait... iPad 3 :D

Kindle is for our parents :D

3. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

The Fire will be out in a few days. Wait for the reviews.

4. Sangdushi thread starter macrumors regular

yeah but the kindle is so cheap. it does everything and I need to do and more. obviously the iPad 2 is leaps and bounds better. don't want to buy my self something so expensive like that now :D

5. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I say wait also until we see the limitations that Amazon places on their device. Price is certainly appealing and will sell a lot of them on that alone.

6. rasputinj macrumors regular

Apple iPad all the way. Time will tell if Amazon's older version of Android and Amazon Android Marketplace are all that they are cracked up to be. It is cheap at $199, but if you liked the iPad 2 go back to it.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You seem to already have your mind made up so why start a thread :confused: Do you really expect iPad owners to recommend a Fire over what we already bought.:rolleyes:

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

fire, if that is all you plan to do. it is a nice looking device and you get benefits like free books from the kindle lening library (only if you own a kindle). these are brand new titles. at ten dollars each, you'll be saving lots of money.

the fire is way too limited for my needs, but for yours, why not?

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You know what the ipad can do so try the Fire to see if it meets your needs. If not just return it.

10. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

it sounds like the Fire might be enough. i would find out what the return period is, read the reviews when it hits the shelves next week, and give it a trial.

11. Sangdushi thread starter macrumors regular

disappointing reviews. guess I'll just get the iPad again. oh well, still happy :)

12. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

You might want to wait until the reviewers actually get it in their hands.:rolleyes:

13. Sangdushi thread starter macrumors regular

go to theverge and engadget. they already have reviews up

14. Yr Blues, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

Yr Blues macrumors 68020

15. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

It's outdated hardware and outdated Android OS. Do you 'really' need to wait for reviews ?

16. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I say why not? lol. You can always sell it if you don't like it. You've had a chance with the iPad2, you can have the Fire this time around. When the iPad3 comes out, you can sell the Fire :) Win Win IMO.

17. taipan61 macrumors 6502

get both, return or sell the one you don't like
    someone's always in the market for these things

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I just read today's Wired review of the Kindle Fire. And was not surprised one little bit.

The Kindle Fire is fine if you absolutely must have a tablet computing device for a cheap price. But it apparently doesn't do much of anything very well - except play video on its little screen. And make it easy for you to buy Amazon stuff. If sitting on a bus or airplane watching little videos is all you plan to do - get the Fire.

Saddest was the fact that its web-bowsing experience (despite the much ballyhooed Silk) sucked. And that it wasn't very good as an e-reader of either books or magazines.

Otherwise, save you money and get an iPad. Or wait till the iPad 3 comes out, and people start selling their Ones and Twos on e-Bay and Craigslist. For $200 or $300 you could get yourself a tablet thats actually worth having.

19. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

My bad. Thanks

20. mjvcsv macrumors newbie

Wait

I would wait for the 7 inch iPad 3. Will be around 350$ and you will get all those wonderful apps.

21. banana22 macrumors newbie

What about the Nook Color?

22. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

From the reviews, it sounds like if all you want to do is read books and watch movies/tv shows, with a bit of web browsing thrown in, the Fire is a decent enough choice. The major advantage of the iPad is, as always, the thousands of other things it does just as well.

23. vaugha macrumors regular

I'd pick ip2 in a heartbeat but knowing transformer prime is just around the corner, I will put that also on the list if I were you unless you have something against androids. I myself am eagerly waiting on reviews before plunging. But fire vs ip2, there's no question if you ask me. :)

24. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

25. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Where did you come up with this release info?I was under the impression the ipad will never drop in screen size.Ive actally been looking toward Android 7 inch tablets or even the new samsung 5 inch player because of apples stance on 7 inch tablets.