What Should I Get When I Buy My First Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iChrisG, Mar 2, 2008.

1. iChrisG macrumors member

Hi! I'm going to be buying my First Mac EVER in about 2 weeks or so. My family has always been PC people and I'm happy that I am getting a Mac. I will be buying the 2.2 GHz White MacBook.

What do I get with it at the Apple Store? Thanks!

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Nothing! Go home and order extra memory online from Newegg.

3. ibookman321 macrumors member

they dont make it 2.2ghz anymore... 2.4ghz took its place:)

4. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

if you have an HD TV, you might like to get :apple:TV. Do you have wireless? Time Capsule or Apple Extreme/Express might be worth considering. You really don't need to buy anything right away. Get the new mac home, play with it and discover what you need in time.

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You might want to get a case for it. I also suggest you go here and get Applecare. That will three worry-free years of repairs and phone support. Otherwise, use the software that comes with the machine, including the iWork trial, before buying anything else. Best wishes.

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

1st thing i usually do is install flip4mac and perian, handy and often overlooked by newcomers.

7. iChrisG thread starter macrumors member

I Mean like, for the MacBook!

Really? 2.4? Hmm.....

8. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

yes with 2gb ram

160gb disk!

wow

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Don't buy anything with it at first unless you want a mouse to go along with the laptop. Use it first and then figure out what else you want. Don't rush into it because you'll end up purchasing items you don't really want or need.

10. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

As has been said, you should probably get a case ... I'd recommend the Brenthaven Prolite series.

11. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

If you plan on taking your new laptop out and about often, then I agree with others about getting a nice case. However, I wouldn't purchase it at the Apple Store the same day you buy the laptop, unless you see one you really love. Get it home, and go online and see what's available, as there are several options. Also, don't under any circumstances buy a ram upgrade from Apple. Their ram upgrade prices are ridiculous compared to what you pay at other retailers, and there is a ram buying guide on this site that can help you decide what and where to buy.

The only other thing I can think of picking up the same day is a keyboard protector. They are usually clear, and fit right over the keyboard to prevent accidents like spilling your drink, or reading a funny post just after taking a sip (happened to me). Everything else you may or may not want to add to your setup can wait until you've had time to evaluate your needs. Congratulations! :)

12. iChrisG thread starter macrumors member

Hmm okay

What about Program wise? Like iLife and AppleWorks?

And I will be getting the 2.4 GHz

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

iLife comes with the computer. As for an office suite, iWork '08 and Office 2008 are your choices. I personally like iWork better (especially Keynote), and it's cheaper ($79).

14. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

There will be an iWork demo on your system when you buy it (I believe). That way you can test run that, and see if you like it. If not, then you can opt for MS Office (student and teacher edition is reasonably priced). Macs come with a lot of good software, and no bloatware (imo). Check out GarageBand, iPhoto, iMovie, etc. That all comes with iLife, which comes with all new Macs. :)

15. ibookman321 macrumors member

neooffice should be good... idk i dont have a mac :( people like it though

16. iChrisG thread starter macrumors member

Do you have to pay for iLife?

And what does iWork come with?

17. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

iLife is free with any new Mac computer. Here is a link to iWork so you can check out what it offers. :)