What should i get.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sinclac, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Sinclac macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm a PC guy looking to get a used Mac, to see if i want to convert over to the Mac (I love my iPhone)
    Budget is around $400.00 but i have no clue about the Mac.

Any suggestions would be great.

Chuck

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Mac Mini? You'd want something that could run Snow Leopard, because the OS is obviously important.

3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

For $400, you're not getting anything new. Why don't you take a look at Apple's Mac page?

For $400 you may be able to get an early C2D mini or a mid-model G5.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

The OP stated he was looking for a used Mac...

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If your budget is $400 I suggest saving so you can buy an Intel Mac. $400 will buy you a used G4 iMac :-\

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

So? That page has all the latest software and accessaries. I don't think the OP wants to be stuck with 4 year old software.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, but you could get a Mini that would include Leopard.

8. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I hope you mean a used one, because minis start at $599.

9. Sinclac thread starter macrumors newbie

Looking for used so i can see if a Mac and i are compatible. :D

10. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

Well you could look on Apple.com in there refrub store, you may get lucky. I'm looking for a refrub mini for my kids, if I can't find one soon I will just buy a new one I guess.

11. movedx macrumors newbie

Hi.

I got a Mac Mini G4 (1.5Ghz, 1gB of RAM, 80GB HDD) for £230 for the exact same reason as you; to try out Macs before commiting to a larger financial commitment. £230 is roughly $375. I got lucky there, though :)

Mine has Leopard on it (10.5.7) and I'm happy with it. I will be making the move to an Intel based Mac Mini (or possibly an iMac) when Snow Leopard shows it's pretty head.

I hope you manage to find a decent Mac for your $400. As suggested, you're best with a Mini, but I doubt you'd find an Intel based Mini for $400 unless you find a friend or family member selling one, or get lucky.

Good luck.

12. Sinclac thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw the mini's would i use my current monitor with it or do i have to buy one?

Chuck

13. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Your current monitor should work fine. What's worth noting is that if you're not using an Apple keyboard some of the keys may be different, you'll have no 'cmd' key, you wont have the brightness, expose, dashboard, or iTunes controls, and the @ will be in a different place. If you really want to give OS X a go it may be worth getting an Apple keyboard, one of the best things about OS X are the keyboard shortcuts, and you don't want the confusion of re-assigning and remembering where your invisible 'cmd' key is, or remembering that @ isn't really @ etc.

14. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Yes, you can use your current monitor if it has VGA or DVI. You should probably get a refurbished Mac Mini or the previous generation.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Either go the refurb route, or save up some more and get a new mini.

16. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I would look for a refurb. That way you still get a warranty will help with resale value if you and a mac don't work out.

17. Sinclac thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i will figure on a Apple keyboard and mouse. My monitor is DVI so I'm good there, I'm in no hurry so i can hunt for a good deal.

Thank you all for your help and insight.

Chuck

18. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

So what Mac Mini do you plan to get?

19. Sinclac thread starter macrumors newbie

Not 100% sure still doing the research but it looks like i'll be in 1.86MZ and 2 Gigs ram, i will ask here before i commit to one for sure.

Chuck

20. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

What is this talk about the @ sign? It is in the same place on all my keyboards, Mac or Windows: above the 2.

The abbreviation for megahertz is MHz. And you're looking at a 1.86 GHz, I hope.

That should be plenty for a convert. My Mac mini is the mid-'07 2.0 GHz with 2 GB RAM. It is fast enough, but lately it has been lagging lately.

Be careful with your Mac and how you use it because it will become an (expensive) addiction, at least for me it has. I own three Macs and (I think) I could use at lest two more.

21. Sinclac thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes thats what i was typing in my head :D

22. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

In other keyboard layouts, @ is indeed in a different place. For example with the Swiss French qwertz keyboard the "@" is doubled on the "G" key.

23. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

My only piece of advice is make sure you buy a Intel Mac, don't invest in a PPC Mac, unfortunately come September it's going to be an unsupported platform.

I would try to pick up a C2D Mac Mini on eBay, that'll most likely be your best bet!

24. akbc macrumors 6502

Yeah, whatever you do, do not purchase a PPC machine.
    I think you can grab an early intel mac mini... Would fall under $400 for sure.

Hope you like your new mac :)