What Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rashhashan, Aug 10, 2010.

1. rashhashan macrumors newbie

rashhashan

If you read my specs you will see im a power user, I'm also a gamer...and gaming on my macbook is limited to say the least..Currently my gaming setup is my macbook as indicated below hooked to my wonderful 24" HD 1080p Gateway Display, G15 Logitech Gaming Keyboard, and using a Logitech MX Revolution Gaming Mouse... Essentially turning my little macbook into a portable desktop. The problems i am facing though (naturally) are 1) heat 2) expandability, and through #2 ...3) overall speed.

What i am debating is to get either a Digital Storm PC, Alienware Desktop, or a maxed out iMac.... the ONLY reason why i am thinking of resorting to a PC is solely because of the expansive hardware options. Otherwise its Mac ALL THE WAY!:cool::apple:

So what do you guys think? I dont want to go "overboard" with my gaming computer...but i dont want to be left "wanting"... Oh and it might be useful if you knew the games that i play.... I play mainly WoW, but also dabble in the Fallout series, Mass Effect, KotOR (Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic), and i want to have the ability to play games like Modern Warfare 2 on max settings if i wish...So all in all i *may* be looking at an extreme rig...thats why im turning to you guys... What do you think?

Thanks!
    Stefan

2. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Keep your MBP for work/school/fun etc. And build yourself a cheap(er) gaming PC.

3. rashhashan thread starter macrumors newbie

rashhashan

thanks for that, but what im getting at is do you thing i should stick to Mac and get a iMac build for about 1500-2200 or go for a lesser PC...given that i mainly play WoW and it is also for mac

4. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

Build a PC. No question about it. Or check out one of those deal sites for refurb PCs. They often list really great machines for $500 and less.

5. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

personally, to save the damn effort because i have my lazy moments ;) i would just buy the Quad-Core 27" iMac with 1GB Graphics Card, because no way could a game need more than that, although you may not be able to run the games at Native Res, you should be able to run games at 1920-1080 on that beast of a machine lol, plus think of the amazing display, plus you have immediately saved some money by selling your other display :)

6. rashhashan thread starter macrumors newbie

rashhashan

Honestly skate, thats exactly what im thinking...i mean i have been scouring the interweb all day for refurb machines because im on a budget (fulltime student/fulltime work...paying my own way)..and honestly im having to settle for less...which isnt what i want...my price range is 1500-2500 and so far with the 27 incher iMac...1080p screen, benifit of not having to buy a screen for it, nice gpu chipset, i7 Quad-Core...whats not to love...as well as the option to either get a Tera, a SSD, or a Combo of both ( my only question with that is if i just get the TB for now and want to buy a SSD later can i upgrade it myself or would i have to get it upgraded at the Apple Store OR can it be upgraded at all regarding to the HDD:apple:

7. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

I remember seeing an article on MacRumors about the SSD upgrade being difficult to do on your own, so you may end up taking it to an Apple Store and paying stupid prices for an SSD, but looking at the US Apple Store (everything seems so much bloody cheaper than in he UK) an i7 27" iMac would be $2200 - RAM upgradeable from other dealers - now a good thing is that the monitor can go if you don't want it, the Keyboard and Mouse with the iMac are perfectly good for the games you listed (but you could also spring $50 for an XBOX360 Controller) - so i'm not sure what your monitor is worth, but that can easily be subtracted from the £2200, and also, you could also sell your laptop and purchase an ipad (16GB recommended) and shave another $200 of your total bill (that's if you sell the laptop for $700-$500 for the iPad) :) i want an i7 iMac now :( lol

8. The Beatles macrumors regular

Full time work and school plus a WoW enthusiast, paying your own way and you can afford a top of the line iMac. Your a beast. keep up the good work, but watch out for debt (not including school loans).

9. rashhashan thread starter macrumors newbie

rashhashan

:eek: Ya i know tell me about it...its rough. And no im no beast..im speaking of saving for said price figure for the equivalent iMac when it comes out...it may be 4 months before i can get my baby :.(

Oh yea and Beatles, WOW enthusiast is putting it lightly...i have 10 lvl 80s :D

SOrry wasn't meant to sound as if i were bragging

10. rashhashan thread starter macrumors newbie

rashhashan

Yea i have the Gateway 24" 1080p HD monitor that came out early 2008...it will probably net around 300 at best...i bought it for 550 (USD). The games i play wouldnt need a 360 controller but good notion, also i have considered selling off my lappy for an ipad but i cant quite part with my first mac just yet! Thanks skate