What Should I Keep?? MBA VS MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ccl1590888, Jan 18, 2011.

1. ccl1590888 macrumors newbie

i dont really do any intensive programing and i like the portabilitiy of the MBA but like the power of the MBP. just for internet surfing and maybe a little picture editing here and there. nothing big. I am going to sell whichever i dont keep. yet i still have the MBP in the box but its been over 14 days so i dont think they accept returns.

2. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

sell both and buy a mbp when they update it

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If your MBP is a C2D 13 inch, keep the MBA, provided the MBA has the faster of the 2 available processors.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

5. tfa8rva macrumors member

When will that happen?

6. tim100 macrumors 65816

why

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

More expandability, more ports, optical drive, etc.

8. skiltrip macrumors 68030

1.) respectable processor speed
    2.) FireWire 800
    3.) built in optical drive instead of an extra cost item
    4.) backlit keyboard
    5.) normal hard drive space
    6.) 4gb of ram, which is the minimum anyone should have these days. The OS takes up a gig by itself.

To me the air is gimped in many areas just to make it thin, new, fresh, exciting. The geekbench score for the 1.8ghz is 2766. Sad. The hard drive storage is minimal at best. What good is a thin laptop if you have to carry around external drives in order to store any real amount of data and files?
    It's the netbook of the mac universe. And that's fine, and good for most facebookers and twitterers, but for any real work or usage, the MBP is the way to go.

9. tim100 macrumors 65816

do you think apple will remove the optical drive from its notebooks? mbp may not have a optical drive soon, mba is the future of macbooks.

10. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Keep the MBP. While the air is very portable and light, the pro's better hardware outweigh the slight increase in bulk.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

OP. If u don't have access to another primary computer, keep the MacBook pro for reasons the others said.

However if you have a primary computer than the MacBook air is a great travel/secondary computer.

I have 27 inch core i7 iMac as my primary. I sold my iPad and purchased MacBook air 13 inch (got 4GB ram). It's the perfect combination.

12. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Someday, but I dont think yet. Video and audio folks still use it for installations of large sound libraries, as well as firing off DVDs and audio CDs for clients.

But the optical drive thing has been argued time and time again on here.

13. Ann P macrumors 68020

Wait for the MBP refresh and then make your decision. Judging from what you need it for, a low-end MBA would be perfect for your needs.

Also, if your MBP box is still sealed and unopened, they might make an exception, especially if you're exchanging. ;)

14. mbp owner macrumors newbie

definitely the pro because its not that heavy and I've heard of people who say after a few months the MBA is slow and the battery life goes down quickly

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The Air if its just for internet and light photo editing.