Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I'm thinking of going out and getting Leopard today. I'm tired of waiting for 10.5.2 and then waiting even longer for 10.5.2 to reach retail.

But I'm still wary of the reports of messed up upgrades, etc. etc.

So what should I look out for, watch out for?

1. Should I disable APE?
2. How do you recommend I backup my stuff so that it's at least relatively easy to get my MacBook back to its previous state should something go wrong?
3. Which install option? Archive and Install? Upgrade?
4. Any foreseeable problems with 2.16 MacBook + Leopard?

Thanks =)

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
If you haven't had your Macbook long, or haven't got many files on it, choose upgrade. (I had my iMac for about 4 months and I upgraded, and it was fine.)

If not, you can use Archive & install which will keep everything on your system but be warned; some apps don't like this (I've heard Adobe apps don't).

If you want to have a fresh install, you could get an external hard drive and put everything on that and do a fresh install.

Fresh install will be faster (If you have had your Macbook a while, that is.)

And I haven't heard any notable problems with Macbooks upgrading to Leopard. I think it's more the older computers having problems (G4s, G5s) but don't quote me on that. Head over to the macbook section and check if people are posting "MY MACBOOK ____ WITH LEOPARDD!!!!!!!!111" (You know what I mean ;)), but I don't recall any Macbook users having problems.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Thanks for the reply.

I've had my MacBook since about mid last year, so figure 8 months or so.

When I upgrade or archive & install, will I have to reinstall apps? I really don't feel like doing that, haha.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
well im currently cloning my drive with SuperDuper... it's gonna take 2.5 hours :(

i also uninstalled APE just to be safe. should i also remove shapeshifter? ill remove UNO once its finished copying as well.

TIA for any answers to my questions!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.