What should I look in a computer to use big PDFs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nukiduz, Jun 24, 2013.

1. nukiduz, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

nukiduz macrumors 6502

nukiduz

Hi, I am thinking of buying a MBA or MBP in the next months and would like to know which one would be best for my computing needs. The only tasks where I see my actual 2009 MBP lagging is dealing with large, image heavy PDFs. I am not sure if I should aim for CPU, GPU, RAM, or which combination of them. So, could you tell me what should I look in a computer to be able to deal with 4-5 big PDF files with no lag? Thanks!

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Im not 100% sure, but I would say CPU mainly, and then RAM

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Look at your resource usage when you're working with them on your current MBP.

How big is "big"?

4. nukiduz thread starter macrumors 6502

nukiduz

Some of them weigh around 30mb and are 400 page books which were scanned. I don't know how to put it clear: they are scanned books saved as PDFs, which pages are images and not vectorial text. Is that understandable?

5. leman macrumors 604

First of all, you should look for a PDF viewer other then Preview, it has its problems with big PDFs. Rendering an image-heavy PDF does not require a powerful computer. Its another deal if your pdf contains really complex vector graphics, but then PDF is not a correct tool in the first place...

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

A solid state drive (aka SSD or Flash Storage) would help with the speed of initially opening the PDF file. As far as other specs go I think any current generation Mac would work just fine (even the slowest Macbook Air should be more than fast enough).

One thing to keep in mind is that the new version of OSX coming out this fall (10.9 aka Mavericks) introduces a new system-wide scrolling framework that promises to provide much smoother scrolling of large complex documents.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

importance in order for that usage

1. CPU
    2. ram
    3. SSD

8. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

ANY 2010+ Apple computer (maybe not the low end MBAs in some cases) should be able to handle ANY PDF you will use on a daily basis (Unless you are something something ridiculous.)

Also look into a different PDF viewer first, it might just be Preview.

9. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

You'd expect so, but the same happened on my 2012 13" cMBP, the large PDF's I made were terrible for scrolling on, they'd take a second or two to catch up to where I scrolled. I think its the app (preview) and scalling issues.

10. nukiduz thread starter macrumors 6502

nukiduz

Thanks all for your answers. Would you recommend any alternative to Preview?