What should I replace my 27" iMac with?

silvine

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2008
58
0
I've a 2010 27 inch i3 iMac upgraded with a 64GB SSD and 1TB HDD. I want to sell it and get a new machine. It works fine, but I should have sold it while the Apple Care was valid.

My options are:

1)a 13 inch rMBP or Air now and a 24" monitor later (my only concern with this is it will messy connecting my printer, speakers, DAC and other USB items)

2) a mac mini (they're kind of old, and I depend on wireless)

3) a 21.5 inch iMac now and a 24inch dell monitor later

4) a 27 inch iMac later (as in Autumn; I can't afford a 27" now)


SSD and 8GB RAM is a must. I write content for websites and use Photoshop. I have a large desk, so space isn't an issue.

I used to bring an old Macbook pro around with me, but I sold that. Portability isn't a major requirement at the moment. That said, I used my 13" Macbook Pro on the go, when I had it.

I use the entire screen real estate on my 27" iMac from time to time, and I'm concerned about going back to 21.

Any advice?
 

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
5,606
458
Somewhere!
Wait till you can afford the 27" then. Even look at the refurbs which may be cheap enough to make it affordable sooner for you.

I have a 13 MBP and external screen, but prefer working on my 27 iMac. You will only have one or the other option. In the end, you will appreciate the 27 more.
 
Comment

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
3,578
717
Personally, I'd go for a laptop - that way you aren't tethered to a desk if you don't want to be. Plus, you can always get a nice (decent quality) USB hub to neaten cables!

Although - if you're considering a 13" rMBP - I'd highly suggest paying a little extra and getting a refurb 2012 15" rMBP instead. There's about £100 difference here between that and a middle spec 13" (for the 8GB RAM/256GB SSD). That £100 will get you Quad core i7 instead of a dual core i5, a bigger screen, and a dedicated graphics card. You'll still get the same warranty and whatnot with a refurb.

Example:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

vs

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=ME865LL/A&step=config

The refurb gets you a lot of extra bang for $100.
 
Comment

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
4,709
267
Oregon
Since it works fine, you might as well keep using it until it gives out. And it sounds like you would be best served by another 27" iMac. There will probably be another refresh this fall.
 
Comment

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I've a 2010 27 inch i3 iMac upgraded with a 64GB SSD and 1TB HDD. I want to sell it and get a new machine. It works fine, but I should have sold it while the Apple Care was valid. My options are:

1)a 13 inch rMBP or Air now and a 24" monitor later (my only concern with this is it will messy connecting my printer, speakers, DAC and other USB items)
2) a mac mini (they're kind of old, and I depend on wireless)
3) a 21.5 inch iMac now and a 24inch dell monitor later
4) a 27 inch iMac later (as in Autumn; I can't afford a 27" now)

SSD and 8GB RAM is a must. I write content for websites and use Photoshop. I have a large desk, so space isn't an issue.

I used to bring an old Macbook pro around with me, but I sold that. Portability isn't a major requirement at the moment. That said, I used my 13" Macbook Pro on the go, when I had it.

I use the entire screen real estate on my 27" iMac from time to time, and I'm concerned about going back to 21. Any advice?
Since you're already out of AppleCare anyway, unless you're having problems right now, or what you have now just won't cut it anymore, waiting another 6-8 months would sound like a prudent decision to me.

There's an excellent chance we might have a new Mini by then with better graphics and/or an SSD option; updated iMacs could be on the horizon or in the cards by then, and we'll most likely also have upgraded rMBPs at that time.

And since you too, like most people who have 'tasted' it, have SSDs as a 'definite' on their must-have list, the price of those might have come down a bit more by then. Also with the price of 4K monitors having come down a lot recently, by late summer or fall, you'll have options.

Since you've mentioned space and portability aren't an issue for you, a new 27" (or who knows, bigger by then) iMac seems like a no-brainer to me. Desktops=more computer for less money.
 
Comment

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.